Computer Double Decker Cabinet

I just thought I'd better put up a little before shot.........

Told you it was a mess, maybe you can see why I want to do it a bit better this time around :doh: :wave:
Yes, it does look a bit crowded:eek:

BTW - who's picture is that on the wanted poster above the register, and what is "Black Death Filter":eek:

The "Wanted" poster is a couple of left over passport pics of me, something like 12 years ago :rolleyes:

Black Death is a brand of cigs from [SIZE=-1]Luxembourg[/SIZE]........

black_death.jpg
Black Death, I guess if the regular old..........

death.jpg
Death ones are not good enough :doh:

and if this is not cool enough for you you can get.........

death_menthol.jpg
Death Menthol.... :dunno:

but the ones that REALLY make me laugh are these.........

death_lights.jpg
Death Lights...... :eek: :dunno: :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl::rofl: :doh:

I guess they are like a really really bad cold.... :huh:

At least you can say "Truth in advertising" :D

Dunno, I don't smoke any cigs at all, I like the occasional good cigar, but cigs, not a chance.

:wave:

The "Wanted" poster is a couple of left over passport pics of me, something like 12 years ago :rolleyes:

I knew that - just poking fun :D:rofl:

Black Death is a brand of cigs from [SIZE=-1]Luxembourg[/SIZE]........

Black Death, I guess if the regular old..........

Death ones are not good enough :doh:

and if this is not cool enough for you you can get.........
Death Menthol.... :dunno:

but the ones that REALLY make me laugh are these.........
Death Lights...... :eek: :dunno: :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl::rofl: :doh:

I guess they are like a really really bad cold.... :huh:

At least you can say "Truth in advertising" :D
All by the "Enlightened Tabacco Company"
You gotta love that! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nearly the last detail before the install tomorrow........

SN3D0029.JPG
This is the back side of the cabinet, this is the end pointed towards the customers, I have to cover that up, as some on will surely stick their finger in there :doh:

I did not want to use the usual computer fan covers, like I did on the inside of the cabinet, so I made this little unit up..........

SN3D0033.JPG

Simple and straight forward, the fans are covered and the air blast is directed downward.

Now just a couple of holes to be drilled to feed wires, like the monitor wire and the printer cable, as it will go out the side of the unit, not the holes on the bottom front.

Should be good to go.

Cheers!

:thumb:

Looks good, Stu. A nice addition to the shop, a solution to a problem, and a good reason to get back into the dungeon for a while....:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Look forward to the "installation" pics....:D

Stu, I've been following this thread, you seem to be well organized and right on schedule with everything. I don't think you forgot anything about flatwork. Looks like you planned everything in advance too. Just one quick question, myself like you am in a foreign country and I don't know the language really good plus hard of hearing, I really appreciate those registers that the customer can view to get the final amount. Do you plan on facing the screen for the customer?

Thanks Gerald

There are two screens, one is a touch screen for us, and the other shows the prices and the final total etc to the customer.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Well, we got the new system set up, but boy, were there some problems :doh:

First off, I asked ahead of time for the dimensions for the new computer, for all the peripherals etc, I wanted the "footprint"..... I did NOT get it. :bang:
They also did NOT tell me about several other bits, the LAN Hub, and the back up HDD........

So, while we got things installed, the box I built is NOT going to work, long term........:(

version1_computers.JPG version1_counter_view.JPG version1_new_register.JPG
you can see the two computers, the customer view, and the cash register.

There is just way too much stuff to cram into this box, so I'm going to make a "Ver. 2.0" :rolleyes:
I learned a few things on the first one, I should be able to make the second one better. The biggest thing I'm going to add to the Ver 2.0 unit is a hinged back door, where the cooling fans are, should have thought of that one before.

version2_dryfit.JPG
Here is the ver 2.0 unit doing a dry fit.

Cheers!

Hi Stu :wave:,
Your second one will be much better, having the physical pieces in hand and the experience of making another. Consider the facts of cost and labor/time and overhead, because when it works for you, others will want the same thing (with minor alterations, for which you must charge extra), one just like it!
Good luck.
Shaz :)

Yep Shaz, that really is the truth, Ver 2.0 is almost alway better :)

ver2_shop_computer.JPG ver2_laptop.JPG
First pic, the shop computer hooked to the cash register, using the larger 17" flat screen set into the back of a display case.
Second pic is the laptop computer we use for the net and e-mail etc.
The idea to cut the top off, so the lap top does not have to slide back, then flip open was my lovely wife's idea, I think it was a good one! :thumb:

ver2_no_door_wires.JPG
I had to rush to get it done, so I've not finished the hatch that will be on the backside of the cabinet, I'll get that done today. You can see the amount of stuff in there, without the back of the cabinet open to get at it, this would be way more messy. Once I put the door in place, with the cooling fans, it should be good to go.

ver2_cust_view.JPG
A view the customer would have.

Took a second try, but I think we nailed it this time around.

Cheers!

Well, I got it done!

door_done.JPG

OK, I still have to add a couple of screws in the door to hold it closed, it is using tape right now :eek:

Something else I added to the set up was this..........

SW-KVM2AUP_MA.jpg
It is a KVM switch, and this one is made for a desktop and a laptop, works well, except for some reason the streaming video from Yahoo Japan, does not work, works on the laptop, but not the monitor with the KVM switch in use...........

no_steaming_video.JPG
You can see in the pic the video streaming on the laptop, but not on the monitor in the back ground, dunno why, I've played with the settings and it does not work. Youtube and other online video works fine, just the Yahoo Japan stuff :dunno:

Now with this switch thing we just use the one keyboard, trackball and monitor, very slick!

Cheers!