Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minding my V's and U's - which one?

minding my V's and U's - which one?

If you could only have one bowl gouge and it had to be a 3/8" Thompson, would it be a V or a U profile and why?

Let's throw in that this will be for a first-time bowl makers (me, but also I am sure that Ned would help play too).

Have you read the FAQ?
    Thompson Lathe Tools-FAQ

What size turning you are do? The Thompson tool is American standard, the size of the tool is the actual diameter of the steel.
    The British gouge uses a different measuring standard by the width of the flute. An European 3/8" BG is the same diameter as the " US standard.
    Gordon

Boy, that's a tough one. I've got a 5/8" V and a 1/2" U, and both are good for their own situations. I guess if I had to limit it to one, I'd go with the U, and immediately start saving my lunch money for the V.

Another personal preference would be to go with a 1/2" instead of a 3/8". I have a 3/8" cryo gouge from Packard's and it's quite a bit more flexy than the 1/2" Thompson.

And I heartily endorse Randy Privett's Monster handles. You can get one handle that will fit a 1/2" gouge on one end, and a 3/8" (or 5/8") on the other.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I like the V shaped gouges, I find the smaller nose if easier to use and the longer wings, can be more useful for some things.

I'd have to go with the 1/2" V shaped gouge.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

For a bowl gouge, I'd go for the V groove. The inside edge is what does the cutting so a V provide a smaller radius, which makes it easier to hollow out the bottom of a bowl (using a Irish style grind).

Ok, if I decide I can squeeze out enough to get two Thompson bowl gouges, obviously it should be one U and one V. Should I get varied sizes? What size to which groove?

I'm going to be starting with small pieces. I think my lathe only has a 10" swing anyway (the Delta ShopMaster midi lathe). And a new lathe is definitely not in the budget anytime soon.

Mark, I don't own any thompson tools...yet. I saw this discussion, on another forum, why you shouldn't buy them. Very funny!

>> Link <<
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Mark I had the same questions you did. I went with the 1/2" V and the 1/2" U. I haven't been sorry with either one. The V is good for hogging wood and the U for me is better for finishing.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Your lathe swings 10 inches so a 1/2 inch diameter gouge will handle anything. One of the two gouges has to be a 1/2V and the other could be a 1/2U or 3/8V

Ok, so the best choice is one of each, 1/2". Thanks!

Doug - don't sell out of these guys in the next couple weeks. Well, I guess it would be ok if my order was the last one, but otherwise ...

For making my own handles, where do you all get your ferrules? (Is that the right word for the metal compression thingee that holds the bit properly in the handle?)