Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Remote PC Access...???

OT- Remote PC Access...???

With the upcoming trip to Canada on the horizon, I'm thinking about investing in one of these "remote access" programs.

Two that I've read up a bit on are PC Anywhere and GoToMyPC.

I'm leaning towards the GoToMyPC because I've been rather unhappy with various Symantec products over the years :-X

Does anyone use these products and can steer me in the right direction?

Basically what I want, is to be able to access the various files etc on our PCs here in Japan, while I'm in Canada on vacation, just in case.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu - no comment on those products but I am a very happy user of logmein - (www.logmein.com). They have a free product that enables control of a remote PC and for a reasonabe (to me anyway) cost you can add things like file transfer and remote printing.

Hope that helps

Thanks Ian, I'd not heard of that one, free download to give it a go!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stuart:

I highly recommend logmein.com. I use it everyday in my work. I can control all of the front desk computers in our clinics with it. I have had no problems. As I write this I am sending it through my computer near Detroit Michigan from Lima Peru. Good luck.

Well I downloaded it, and this program does something that I really really have a pet peeve about, it asks me what country I'm in, so I say Canada, as I know, I just KNOW that it will try to download the Japanese version of the software.......... and it did..........

Sure, once I install it, I can go and change the language setting, but I have to do the complete install with various security alerts in Japanese, I can muddle through them, but what happens if I were in say Greece and this happened? I cannot for the life of me understand WHY this happens, if I can choose the country that I am in, or based in, why does the software download in the language of the country I'm currently present in???

Sorry, just something that makes me go

William Arthur Ward

Yeah - at the very least they should ask what country are you in to do things like time zone, currency, etc. but then also ask what language for install. I'm sure there's at least one or two other blokes like Stu in Japan who live there and do business there but who speak Japanese as a second language.

Where in Canada are you going to be?

And why did you want to use your Porter Cable tools remotely? Wouldn't that be dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    And why did you want to use your Porter Cable tools remotely? Wouldn't that be dangerous?
    Nah, it should be safer as long as he padlocks the door of the dungeon so no one can get in.

My wife uses GoToMyPC at work and I use GoToMeeting at work. Both are work great and very stable. I've used PCAnywhere in the past for work. I've seen it make a machine unstable, like other Symantec products. If you are using Windows XP Pro (or if you are running one of the Sever products), you already have remote control software built in. You would need to open/forward port 3389 on your firewall though. I've done that in the past without problems. There's even a way to log in to the console and ability to attach to another session for shared access. We do that at work quite a bit.

DO NOT USE VNC! VNC is not even close to secure for access across the Internet. I accidentally left one of my PCs in the DMZ on my router and then installed VNC. Someone tried to take control of it while I was using it. I've heard that elsewhere too. Now inside my own network I love VNC except that it has an issue with XP Home when multiple users are logged in.

Don't forget to verify IP addresses and set up IP forwarding as needed before you go.

I don't know how many documents you need to look at or how secure they need to be, but would Google documents be a quick idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    DO NOT USE VNC! VNC is not even close to secure for access across the Internet.
    We used to use VNC at work, a few years ago, and the way to set it up back then was to tunnel VNC over SSH. Of course, VNC came out of a research/academic environment, where people would not go cross-eyed when you suggest that they "tunnel over SSH".

And to the guy who suggested Linux... I might point out that Macs are a bit more user-accessible, and they also support remote access right out of the box. (and yes, I am writing this on Linux right now, but I know better than to suggest that to Windows users. Of course, I bought my wife a Mac... Hey, I thought Stu wanted a Mac also?)

Have you thought about using Remote Desktop? The server part comes standard with XP pro. And I believe the client is installed on XP home. I use it all the time to access my computer here at work from home. Why has no one mention this yet? Seems like the perfect solution. No cost, it's already installed!, so ya don't have to install the Japanese version.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-06-2008 at 05:58 PM.