Optimum Blade Type For Milling Cove Molding On A TS

I was hoping to get some information about what would be the best blade to use when milling out wide (4+ inches) cove molding on the table saw? I currently have a Forrest WWII and the Freud LM72R Heavy Duty Rip blade. For this operation, would it be best to use a blade dedicated to ripping, or crosscutting, or is a combination blade (like the WWII) OK, as well?

Thanks very much for any help!!

- Keith

keith, i`d use whichever one has the heaviest plate. thin kerfs don`t do well with side loads. if both are heavy then less teeth is easier on the saw.

If the smaller blade size would still give acceptable results I would put on the two outer blades of the stacked dado set just for extra rigidity.

Does anyone else know if a TCG or ATB tooth type would give a difference in the quality of the cove surface?

cmt-makes a 7"-diameter with six cutters -it' at least a 1/2"thick plate-woodcraft sells the set with six router bits for around $400.00-just the table saw cutter is around $200.00,they work better than using a saw blade.

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

i would go with thicker plate also. i'd also use the one with less teeth to do most of the work, then maybe try to get a cleaner cut on the last pass with a blade that has more teeth. sanding those saw marks out was a bugger when i made mine. used some 60 grit on my ROS to get the marks off then used a lighter grit to finish it.

if you got 200 bucks the piece by cmt would be nice. i think you can read about it on woodshopdemos.com

good luck

a goose-neck scraper sharpened right works well to get the saw marks out-also when you get to the last few cuts -take six passes instead of three.

rounding off the sharps corners
alex

The scoring marks of an ATB blade like the WW II leave a lot of scratches. A rip blade with raker teeth does a smoother job.

On the other hand, since I went to my current big saw, I no longer have a rip blade, and the WW II works fine - just some extra sanding or scraping.