Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Spain

Trip to Spain

At the end of this month I am going to attend
    a workshop in Madrid.
    http://www.windintegrationworkshop.org

I will be there for two more weeks and I want to visit the
    surronding cities.

My wife will go with me and she wants to go to Paris.

Any advice or recommendation will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Alfredo
    PS Thanks Vaughn for your help.

Ah...that answers my question about your article.

I have no suggestions for Spain since I've never been there, but I would love to go to Paris again. If you haven't been there, I'd recommend it. Hopefully Toni will jump into this thread and give some suggestions about Spain.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey, why not visit Toni while you are there!

Spain is one of the places I'd like to go, on my top ten list.

Take pics have fun!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu beat me to it . . . stop and see Toni. Oh, PM him first and see if there are any small tools he can't get due to the outrageous shipping costs. That would be a great thing to do for a fellow FWW'er. Oh well, while your at it why don't you bring me a few things too . . .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Alfredo,

I happen to have an old friend in Madrid... with your permission, I'll contact him and see if I can get you two in touch...

Thanks,

Bill

Espana

Hola
    I have been to Spain five times since my wife, Maria comes from Madrid. If you have time, see the Prado Museum, Plaza Mayor, Picasso Museum(too many others to mention in Madrid), with field trips north to Segovia to see the roman aqueduct and El Alcazar(castle looks like the Disney castle) or south to Toledo (Don Quixote country-you know the guy who chased windmills).
    Adios
    Irv

Alfredo , I can't offer much advice but I do wish you a good, safe trip. I hope you enjoy both Spain and Paris. Paris is a magnificant city.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Alfredo.

There are many things to see in Madrid, apart from what Irv Graham has already suggested you, I recommend the old city, and the Parque del Retiro if you like nature.

Just an advice, beware of pickpocketeers specially in the subway and in crowds specially if they realise that you're a tourist, but this is common to all big cities isn't it?

Paris is about 1500Km away from Madrid ( about 3 hours flight) and Barcelona is 500Km. 55min. one. and there are many other interesting things to see everywere.

Glenn, Stu, thankyou for having me in mind, you're right, good tools are very expensive here, and the worst thing is that it is very difficult to find shops that have them.

Actually most of my tools have been bought either at flea markets,ebay or throught the net from US.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I've been to Spain several times. Madrid is a thriving place - the political center of the country. If you're interested in the artistic cosmopolitan center of the country, my vote is for Barcelona. I've traveled quite a bit (i'm about to touch my 5th continent on a trip to Beijing), and Barcelona still is my favorite city. It's on the Mediteranean, has a thriving arts and architectural scene, has a fantastic old city center, amazing history, and a very comfortable feel. It's long on history, yet very progressive. The beech, museums, street activity, parks, etc.
    If you think you might head south, one of my other favorite spots is the town of Granada. It's in the mountains and is incredibly scenic. It's also home to Alhambra - a Moorish palace and fort. Meandering around the grounds and buildings is great way to spend a day. http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi..._Alhambra.html
    But then, when i'm in spain, i'm always tempted to take the slow train into some small town to spend the day. Siesta is a great thing.
    Have a fine trip.
    Paul Hubbman

Pickpockets are a problem on the Paris Metro (subway) - and especially if they recognize that you're a tourist. Try to avoid traveling during the rush periods and be suspicious of anyone who gets too close to you or bumps into you. Put your wallet in a buttoned pocket or use a safety pin to pin your pocket closed. They target women also and are very good at opening purses without you noticing.

Do not carry your passport unless you can put it somewhere it's really safe. Leave it at the hotel in the safe. Losing your passport is worse than losing money.

I've not had trouble in other parts of Paris but I'm sure there's some bad areas.

Overall, Paris is a wonderful city - a city easy to fall in love with (especially when you're young which is when I went to Paris for the first time.)

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.