Here is my first bowl. It started as a figured maple blank.
I rough cut the blank on the new bandsaw. It handled the blank with no problem at all, using a 3/8in blade. Not having a chuck yet, I cut a plywood face plate which I glued to the blank with CA glue. I then screwed the lathe's metal face plate to the plywood.
You can see various stages in the pictures. I still have to do a little more refining and sanding, that is why it is still on the plywood face plate.
When I part it off the plywood and apply a finish, I will put those pictures up.
Update! I finished the bowl. It didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but it was just my first attempt. I gave it several coats of mineral oil, so it could be used for nuts or jelly beans or something. Depending on how the light hits it, the grain pattern has a 3D look to it in some parts.
This morning I gave it to my wife as part of her Mother's Day gift.