Some Feedback on an Idea?

Should I attempt to make a woodworking video podcast?

• Yes - Go for it!

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No - You have too much to do already

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • What's a Video Podcast?

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sean Wright

Somewhat recently I have gotten into listening to woodworking podcasts, as well as watching some video podcasts.
http://thewoodwhisperer.com/
http://thewoodwhisperer.com/woodtalkonline/
http://www.mattswoodshop.libsyn.com/

I started to think,:huh: I wonder what it takes to make one of these (video podcast, specifically)? In looking into it you basically need a digital video camera, some type of video editing / formating software, and a place to post the content to.

Now, I have a mini-dv video camera, iMovie HD on my Mac will allow editing as well as formating to an mp4 file type. I was able to locate a site that will host non-commercial podcast content for free.

Now the question comes, "should I give it a shot and try to make one?"

The reason that I'm considering this, is a guy that I work with runs a forum where I'm pretty much the woodworker in residence (it isn't a woodworking specific forum, but has a woodworking section). I post shop tips and how-tos periodically. I was thinking that I could take some of the stuff that I have put up and do short video podcasts on it (10 to 15 minutes long). It would mostly be aimed at beginning woodworkers.

I know that I have alot of other things eating up my time right now. However I was only planning on putting out one or two a month.

Let me know what you think!

Sean, if it is something that would be FUN for you to do, (AND you have the time to spend on it to make it a Good Quality video), then I say......GO FOR IT.:thumb: A GOOD quality video would be an excellent gift from you to a lot of folks trying to learn something new.

I would like to add that I have tried to watch quite a few WW videos that would have been interesting, EXCEPT that they were Out of Focus, or the Camera was bouncing around, or they were so far from the action you couldn't even tell what they were doing, AND the Audio was totally inaudible, because of them not speaking clearly into a microphone and or the background noise from the machine running totally drowned out the speaker, or both. When they are like that, I really don't see why they waste the space on the internet to post them, as they are totally USELESS. I sometimes wonder if they even watch their video before they post them:dunno:

Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Sean,

Absolutely go for it!!! :bow:

I have a Sony Digital 8 camera, iMovie HD and iMovie 8 on my Macs, and a place I could post to if I set it up....but no time. I would really like to see how you do it, as well as what your videos are about.

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

Ditto what the others have said. Go for it. If it sounds fun to you, give it a whirl. At the very worst, you'll decide you don't like it after a few and not do any more.

I think it'd be fun to do, but not only do I not have enough time, a recent USA Today poll showed I'm on the Top 10 Least Photogenic People list. :rolleyes:

Go for it! Don't worry about beauty: to get an audience, you don't need to be pretty, but you do need to be funny... or at least mildly amusing. A few jokes go a long way... ;)

At least at first, I would keep them to five to seven minutes... people are unlikely to watch much longer than that, at least until you've built an audience... and you'll be shocked how much material it takes to fill 5 minutes.. ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Sean...I'm very intrigued by this as well. My very much unread, except by me, blog is part of The Wood Whisperer Network and I've watched quite a few of the podcast on the sites there as well. If I had the time and equipment I would try it too. Good luck...heck we can say we knew you before you were famous. :)

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

Sorry to insist, on this but why not taking advantage and making a podcast on how to build a craddle? in this way you could "kill two birds with the same shot".:D

Looking forward to see both!:):)

Podcasts are a great idea as long as you remember they are serial productions-- in other words, you need to produce a series of 'casts, not just one. People subscribe to podcasts so you need to produce several, one after another. That's the biggest mistake producers make, creating one and walking away. That's not a podcast.

Bill is right on the time limit, although I'd say no longer than 5 minutes in length from experience. People tune out after 5 minutes.

Good luck and have fun!

--MJ