Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet haters

Jet haters

Interesting how different folks look at the same thing and come up with different twists. I belong to a gunsmithing forum and recently there was talk about a Jet machinist’s lathe.
    The guys on the forum spoke of Jet with nothing less than pure hate and venom. Most called Jet equipment ‘cheap Chinese knock-offs’.
    On some forums, especially the ones for penturners, the forums are practically houses of worship for things Jet. Curiously, those same forums, and people, often hate Grizzly equipment, even though both brands usually come off the same assembly lines. Oh, well.
    Folks is funny critters.

Frank, this is kinda like chevy vs. ford, huh? I think indepentant reviews of machines on forums are great. The problem, as you know very well, that some will get nasty and say "...nothing less than pure hate and venom."

Green(relish), white(mayo), yellow(mustard), gray, blue...whatever the color, if the price is right for me and the reviews are positive and not full of hate and venom, I trust them and will buy accordingly. I usually ignore the ranting reviews.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I've got green stuff and white stuff and grey stuff and maybe even some other colors of stuff in my shop. It's all good to great IMO. I used to cuss some of my tools, but as I used them more I found out that it is more often the Indiginous North American Person and not the arrows that are the issue when the target is not hit. I think that most of my machines are capable of much more accuracy than I am able to get them to perform.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

There there are people like me that think if it was made past the 1950's regardless of brand it ain't worth owning.

On the serious side I am not a big fan of the imports. I honestly don't think they are made as well as the old machines and that you can get a far superior product by buying an old one and rebuilding it. Of course that is not for everyone. I think that the quality of the cast iron is inferior comparing the imports to the old American made machines. Much softer and more likely to break.

On the other hand, they may be perfectly adequate too. You don't hear a lot about stripped bolts and broken parts. So the Old Arn is probably overkill but I like overkill on machines. One of my biggest problems with new machines is most new smaller stuff is disposable. If it breaks it gets replaced, not repaired.

I have a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and it's been a great saw. No serious complaints, just a couple of minor ones. So it boils down to personal preference. I honestly don't think your going to tell any difference in the wood coming off the machine. And I bet if your could run the machines color blind (so to speak) your wouldn't see much difference.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 05-07-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Frank, this is kinda like chevy vs. ford, huh? I think indepentant reviews of machines on forums are great. The problem, as you know very well, that some will get nasty and say "...nothing less than pure hate and venom."

Green(relish), white(mayo), yellow(mustard), gray, blue...whatever the color, if the price is right for me and the reviews are positive and not full of hate and venom, I trust them and will buy accordingly. I usually ignore the ranting reviews.
    Jeff, very true. There were factors involved in my recent decision to buy a Grizzly lathe other than specs and color.
    Color does contribute to some fun debates. Steve and I used to josh over red and green tractors. Mine was red and, naturally, better than the greens.
    As I like to say, "Folks is funny critters."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    On some forums, especially the ones for penturners, the forums are practically houses of worship for things Jet.
    Well, it's tough to deny that the Jet Mini lathe is a source of much positive karma for the WMH group, and rightly so: it's kind of the Volkwagen Beetle of the small-scale woodworking world.

I suspect much of the difference between the perceptions of Jet between different customer groups lies in the expectations. It makes a lot of difference whether you're moving down from hard-core industrial-grade or up from light-weight consumer-oriented kit. (Or to put another way, whether you're in the market for "cheaper good stuff" vs "better cheap stuff".)
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

something tells me that a pen turner might have somewhat different expectations out of his 300$ jet mini than a machinist might have out of his 25-30k cnc mill...or even a 8-15k metal lathe....
    in the end the ol` "ya get what ya` paid for" is usually true.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I think on the gun smithing side you are dealing with a different level of precision. However with that being said and being a machinist in a past life I have found many of the import machine tools to be as of good or better precision than some of the old standby's For example there are much better mills out there the the original Bridgeport at much lower cost.

What I will say about some of the import line of wood working equipment is that it has afforded many more people to enter the world of wood working with much better equipment. By today's dollar for value it is my opinion that what you get today is a very good value. In long past years many home wood workers have been held to a cheaper consumer level of equipment that was not comparable to what we have available in a more industrial based import tool and many times at lower cost in today's dollars.

Good Luck

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I think on the gun smithing side you are dealing with a different level of precision. However with that being said and being a machinist in a past life I have found many of the import machine tools to be as of good or better precision than some of the old standby's For example there are much better mills out there the the original Bridgeport at much lower cost.

What I will say about some of the import line of wood working equipment is that it has afforded many more people to enter the world of wood working with much better equipment. By today's dollar for value it is my opinion that what you get today is a very good value. In long past years many home wood workers have been held to a cheaper consumer level of equipment that was not comparable to what we have available in a more industrial based import tool and many times at lower cost in today's dollars.

Good Luck

Alan

I heard that a Lockheed-Martin plant in Texas recently replaced every machine in their entire factory with all Grizzly equipment. Can't be too shoddy if a company like that depends on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    You keep talking about Steve's inferior green tractors like that and he might just stop over for a visit.
    That's OK. I now drive green. A Craftsman lawn tractor.
    BTW, Casa Fusco is always open.