Need a new lathe!!!

Zack Massey

Ok, I know I am pretty new to wood turning still but I just burned up my Central Machinery lathe. I was turning a 10x6 birch wood bowl blank and it just went out on me. I felt the motor and it is extremely hot. Guess it can't handle taking the big cuts. It will turn on still but takes to long to get up to speed. I will fix it but want a better lathe that can do the pieces I am wanting to do. Anyone have any suggestions on what lathe would be a good one for big knarly peices. And need advice on what I messed up on the cheap Central Machine.

I don't know a lot about lathes, or have experience with a lot of them, but I had the opportunity to try out a Nova DVR a while back and was really impressed. It was solid and I really liked the variable speed. And you could pivot the head.

I use a Jet 1236 right now.

Mike

Zack,

Too bad about that CM machine. For a good recommendation, we need to know your price range, and what you intend to turn. The possibilities range from 500 to 5,000 bucks. My $500 grizzly lets me turn big stuff, but there are people here who have spent a lot more, and are much happier... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Price range

Well My price range will probally be around
$1500. + or - some $. I would like to have the power to take big cuts and not bog down and be sturdy enough that I can turn a little faster with less vibration. Cm machine was good till now but left a real taste in my mouth for the good stuff. Lathe turning is a dying art and at the age of 31 I think I can help take it a bit farther. thanks for any help received!!!!

zack, i also upgraded from a 10" lathe to the nova 1624. got it on sale from amazon for $800 plus delivery. i like many of the features, especially the revolving head stock which i use on every piece but....i wish i had sprung the extra $1000 for the variable speed dvr. i can change speeds quickly with all the practice i've had but still is an irritation. stupid, i know, to double the price of the lathe for a convenience like that but the pain is brief and the payback just keeps giving. i also like the short footprint of this lathe in my shop with the large swing diameter.

If you're serious about turning, my vote would be to save up a bit more and get the Powermatic 3520B. The Jet 1642 EVS is in about the price range you mentioned, and it's also got a lot of happy owners. The Nova DVR is another good one, in between the Jet and the Powermatic price-wise.

As far as what went south on your Harbor Freight lathe...what model do you have? It might be as simple as a slipping belt, or as complicated as a fried motor.

I would take a good look at the Jet 1642 or the Nova DVR XP. The Nova is what I have and just love it. You could take a look at the Nova 1624-44. It is a belt changer but has a good low speed and has some good reviews. It is around $1000.

If you really do like turning, then I'd fix the motor on the one you have, and take lighter cuts, and save your money and buy the Big PM like Vaughn said, that way, you will not be upgrading again, well, I'd guess about 98% on that, who knows :D

I have the Nova DVR 3000, that is the one model older than the DVR XP, and I do truly love that lathe, but, if I were in the US or Canada, I would have saved up for the big PM.

Remember, if you really fall into the vortex, big time, you will spend way more on other things, besides the lathe.

Good luck!:wave:

New Motor

Saving for a big lathe gets my vote, but I would replace the motor as a stop-gap. You can get a quality low horsepower motors for quite a low cost.

Like stated above, there are many quality lathes to choose from. Though I haven't turned on these myself I would recommend any Nova or the Jet 1642 belt changer or EVS. But if you can save up for even more, go for the Powermatic 3520B.

Hutch

Zack,

Take a peek at this thread:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9385

See that lathe in the background? That's the machine to measure against. But... you'd have to say goodbye to something north of 5K. By all accounts, they're brilliant machines. We've got at least a couple members that have one.

Next step down is a Oneway. Somewhere around 4. Very, very nice. Lots of people stop their upgrade path right there.

The mustard path (Powermatic 3520B): we have several people who have them. I wish I did. You'll get out of the gate for about 1K less than for a oneway, but these are VERY highly rated. Very nice, very solid, high performance, everything you could want, and more.

Down 1K more, the nova variable speed. Great ratings. Lots of people say it's a little light, but you can solve that by building your own stand. People like them, and do great work on them... but some (not all) people wish they'd gotten a PM.

New kid on the block: http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632 . Figure about 1.5K. I think two people here have them. Looks suspiciously like the Jet, but for a bit less. If I had that kind of money, that's what I'd get. But everyone will tell you how cheap I am! ;)

That's pretty much the range without going lower. You may want to check out Jet and Laguna, just so you don't have any regrets.

I'm not giving any advice about what to buy. I just spend a fair amount of time surfing and dreaming... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Zach,

I have two shops (one in SC, one in VA) and my lathes are powermatic 3520B in SC, and Nova DVR in VA). I like both of them and got them for excellent prices. Unfortunately both were well over 1500. At the Richmond AAW show, you might be able to get the DVR for 1800 to 1900 as Woodcraft carries them and often gives 10 percent off of the 2k price, but you'll still need a stand. I built mine for about 50 dollars worth of material. The PM retails for about 2.8k but it too can be found at discount for perhaps 2.2k. I have heard nice things about the higher end Jets, but don't know what they run.
As everyone who responds to the question "what lathe?" will tell you though, the price of the lathe is but the very, very beginning of cash outlay.
Good luck, Hilel.

Thanks everyone!!

I really like the feed back. I have looked at all of the ones recommended, and I think I will save up for the Powermatic 3520B. I like the fact that the headstock slides and it has tons of torque. I am going to fix the light weight CM and deal with it till then.:doh: Thanks again

Years from now Zach, you will still be happy with that mustard lathe, so the choice is a good one.

I do believe the old adage about "Crying once" is so very true.

Cheers!

zack, i also upgraded from a 10" lathe to the nova 1624. got it on sale from amazon for $800 plus delivery. i like many of the features, especially the revolving head stock which i use on every piece but....i wish i had sprung the extra $1000 for the variable speed dvr. i can change speeds quickly with all the practice i've had but still is an irritation. stupid, i know, to double the price of the lathe for a convenience like that but the pain is brief and the payback just keeps giving. i also like the short footprint of this lathe in my shop with the large swing diameter.

How long have you had that lathe? I cannot find it on Amazon at any price.

paul, sorry for my memory. i bought that at woodcraft near the beginning of 2008...it was on sale, i remembered that part...for $899 and with delivery and some kind of discount total price was $965...it's at this page with current prices:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20011

another thought about this lathe...it does come with a stand...and a very clever stand as i've mentioned on past posts. the feet are individually adjustable for height and swivel to accomodate an uneven floor. the legs are tubular steel, closed at the bottom but open at the top. you can fill these with anything for added weight. i calculate lead shot would add about 97# to the weight of lathe plus stand making a total weight of about 348# for a short lathe...60" long