Any suggestions on how to stain oak border around maple ply

allen levine

Im looking to keep myself busy with some touch ups.
I built this TVStand/shelf last year.
Maple ply with an oak face frame and oak moulding.
I never finished it, since I wasnt sure what I wanted to do, and then I realized its probably too late.
I rubbed 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on it, and I never did anything else.
I just left it, cause the small TV that was going to be on top of it, well, I had a little discrepency with the TV one night, and it left. Its now in a college dorm in Hartford.
Id like to know if there is anyway I can stain the oak cherry colored, over the linseed oil from a year ago, and how would I keep the stain off the maple ply where I attached a border . (biscuits)
Do I have a shot, or is this something I just should leave alone.(I might have asked about this a while ago, I couldnt find it.)

is there a taping product, cause I dont think the blue painting tape would keep the stain off the maple.

Id like to stain the oak cherry because my bedroom set is maple veneer with a cherry border.

Attachments

• Tiki 203 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 203 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Stain works best on bare wood, not on top of BLO which has blocked the wood pores. No matter how you color oak, it will not look like cherry. Thus I suggest you save your effort.

Im going to take your advice.
What i dont know about finishing wood might be able to fill 4 books.
I was pretty sure I should have stained all the pieces first, before I attached them all, then rubbed it down with the linseed oil.