figured mahogany table

i'm working on two pieces for the - texas furniture makers show-first is this mahogany table, i've been working on this piece for awhile and nearly have it ready to finish-then it will be carried across the alley to sam blasco's shop and he is going to spray a catalyzed lacquer finish on; the top is one board 13ft. long and 37in. wide of figured mahogany- this board is from the famous tree cut in 1965 in the chicibul jungle (fine woodworking #54-1985 sept/oct. ) the base is ribbon striped mahogany and the secondary wood is goncalo alves.will post more pictures when i get closer to being done;oh the pictures showing the figured top is not a finish on the wood only rubbed with a damp cloth to show the grain.
DSCF0014-2.jpg

DSCF0029-2.jpg

DSCF0015-3.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0019-2.jpg

DSCF0021-2.jpg

rounding off the sharp corners
alex
DSCF0026.jpg

Wow! Did I say wow already?? That is one beautiful piece of wood. And huge. Where will the table reside?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Wow! Did I say wow already?? That is one beautiful piece of wood. And huge. Where will the table reside?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

lee-i do very little on commission, i just think them up an make them (all spec)so this will end up where the guy who writes the ck, takes it.

alex

Nice piece of wood there Edward. I really like the base. Feels solid and the arch and the tusk tenons(?) (can't quite tell from the pic) really gives it interest.

Man, that's a once in a lifetime piece of wood. If the sneak preview is any indication, the finished product will be world-class. :thumb:

hard time partin

with that table once you get it done that kind of figure just doesnt come around much.. its gonna be a spectacular when your done i hope you let us see it then before the other guy gets it... oh what RO sander is that in the back ground not the 1/4 sheet the RO in the back ground?:thumb::thumb:

a few more pictures-the stretcher is 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 12ft. i cut it and all four legs and the two post from one piece of ribbon striped mahogany that was 4" x14" x 14ft. -the arch came about after i got for enough alone that i could put all the parts together and found when you set at the ends your ankles hit the end of the stretcher so i cut 6" off each end ,then the space between the post was more than the space between the the legs and the post-so i made the arch to make it more balanced. the arch is made from one piece of goncalo alves
(not laminated) that was 2" thick a little over 16" wide and around 5 ft. long-i had been planning a hall table from that piece of wood for over ten years but it was the only goncalo i had that was big enough ,it took me a few days to finally carry it over to the band saw and cut it out.
i'm not going to write anything with these pictures -i figure all of you will know what's what-oh all my sander are porter cable.
DSCF0006-2.jpg

DSCF0001-3.jpg

DSCF0005-2.jpg

DSCF0008-1.jpg

DSCF0003-2.jpg

DSCF0004-3.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

alex

Edward, I am totally Awed at the beauty of that wood, and your design for it is Fabulous. I can't wait to see it in it's completed form with the finish on it.:thumb: I can't even begin to imagine the cost of that beautiful piece of wood, knowing how rarely something like that comes along with that much beauty and size. The goncalo alves is a beautiful piece too and should draw just the right amount of attention to the base design as well. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Where will the Texas Furniture Makers Show be?