more band saw questions

I just received the official approval from the controller of my finances(my wife) that I could buy a new bandsaw. I'm considering the following two machines

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0457/images/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0555X/images/

Does anyone have experience with either of these or are there any other recommendations within the same price range.

I want to start making bandsaw boxes and my present 14" Grizzly is 10 years old and just doesn't have much left.

Thanks for any and all input
Jiggs Elphison

If you have that kinda money, I would look at ther 17" model(G0513). I have this one and love it. This would give you larger platform for cutting larger peices. Plus you would have a few bucks left over for some over thing.:thumb:

There is good reason why the Grizzly G0555 is (claimed to be) the #1 selling bandsaw in the world. Mine has performed perfectly, almost daily, for seven years. The 'X' has additional features. I'm not familiar with the G0457 but the 2 hp indicates it might be better suited for resawing. My only regret is size limitations. I can't reduce large hunks or logs to usin' size with mine. A 17" would be the tool for that. So far, I have resisted putting a riser block on mine as it is my concern that it might overtax a machine that wasn't designed originally to make 12" cuts. I dunno, that's my thinking. Many use the riser happily. Bottom line, you won't go wrong with either.

Thanks to all for their recommendations on the Bandsaw - I'm accepting the four choices and I'm orderinh the 17" 513. I'm doing this before the wife changes her mine...

Jiggs,
Now that the 17" is on the way, try to make room in the shop for both it and the old 14. I've got a Laguna 16, and kept my old Taiwanese 14" too, and have found that I use both of them quite a bit. The old 14 is fitted with a 3/16" blade, and does the 'light work,' while the 16 usually has a ½" or ¾" blade for heavier work and the resawing. The combination of the two works very well, plus it saves a lot of blade-changing time.

band saw

As I mentioned in a previous post I bit the bullet and ordered the 17" Grizzley - It's been on back order and was notified today that it will ship in the next week.

I also remember some post on this forum recommending a particular brand of blades, but cannot remember the brand or the post.

I also have been given the OK to replace my old Ridgid Miter Saw. Looking at the Hitachi 8 1/2 or 10" slider. Any comments pro or con?

Congrats on the upcoming new saw, Jiggs. One popular source for bandsaw blades is Suffolk Machinery. You can call them up and tell them what you want to do with your saw, and they can advise you on what blades would be best.

Hey Jiggs, congrats on the new saw!

Are you keeping the old one for scroll work like Jim suggested? That is very good advice, in my opinion.:D

Hitachi SCMS, I've got the older C8FB saw, and I love it, it is a workhorse and it is still dead accurate after all these years.

I really like the new one they have out, with the slider rails up and to the right of the saw, instead of behind the saw, this lets you put your saw station much closer to the wall.

I just looked at the US Hitachi site, and I only see the compact slider offered in the 10" version :huh:
C12LSH_top10web.jpg_prod_mx.jpg

I also see that they have the newer C8FB2 8-1/2” saw, very similar to the one I have.
C8FB2.jpg_prod_mx.jpg

Cheers! :wave:

Thank you for the "instant response". Vaughn the band saw blade I was looking for is the one you mentioned.

Stuart, no I'm not keeping the old 14" saw. One, I have a small shop,and not enough room, and second, and probably the real reason, is I paid $325.00 8 years ago, and it's had a lot of use (and admittedly, a little abuse), anyway I have a buyer for $200.00, this will be applied to the miter saw.

I guess the major decision I have to make now is do I need a 10" or 8 1/2". Most of my work is with 3/4 or 4/4 stock. I do want a slider for the ability of cutting wider stock.

Jiggs

I have rarely ever wanted more than the 8 1/2" saw will do.

I often wonder how the accuracy suffers with the larger saws, I mean all things being equal, the 10" or the 12" saws would have to be a lot beefier, better made to be as dead on accurate as the 8 1/2" saw :dunno:

For $238 you can't beat this saw with a stick.....

>> Hitachi C8FB2 8-1/2” Sliding Compound Miter Saw, Twin Rail (Reconditioned) <<
The Hitachi reconditioned tools have a great reputation, I'd not hesitate to buy one, and with the $200 from your 14" bandsaw, you are just about there :D

It is also on back order right now, but if you put your e-mail in to them, they will notify you when they have stock. I know I'd be willing to wait a bit to buy that saw at that price!

Cheers!