?????? About a fast drying wipe on finish

Bart Leetch

That doesn't stink.

I once brushed on Lacquer & liked it it dried fast but it stunk the shop up & the apartment above the shop so it is out of the question.

I would like to know if there is a wipe on finish maybe even a water based one that may even dry fast???

Thanks

Minwax Polycrylic is water based and it dries pretty quickly. (I think it's dry to the touch in about 30 minutes, as I recall.) It's not specifically a wipe-on finish, but I've brushed it and sprayed it (unthinned) with my HVLP gun.

Shellac dries in 45 minutes. It smells a bit, but not tons. Depends a bit on the size of your shop.

I also use Flecto Varathane waterbased finish when I want a water based poly on a project. I get good results using a foam brush. It also dries pretty quick - recoat in 4 hrs IIRC. The smell is quite mild.

I have also tried out a brushing lacquer.... It stank like crazy, had a window open and a fan constantly going and it wasn't good enough.

...art

ps: I'm assuming you want a built-up finish? I also like Tried and True "original wood finish", which is a BLO-beeswax mix. It smells quite nice, and wipes on very easily. It dries reasonably quickly but I thing it's more in the 12-24hr recoat camp. It is a penetrating oil finish though, not a durable film finish.

Hi Bart,

Without running afoul of the copyright laws let me tell you that the current (May/June) issue of FWW has an excellent article by a woodworker I consider one of their best contributing editors, Roland Johnson.

He calls it "Hot-Rod Your Varnish" and the subtitle is "Fast-drying, wipe-on blend builds quickly for a durable finish". He uses varnish, tung oil, Japan Drier, and Pure gum spirits turpentine.

The article sounds very interesting and might be worth your while to pick up a copy of this issue.

The wipe on poly is good but the water based raises the grain unless you put a sealer coat on first. Dewaxed shellac will work as a sealer.

The Minwax comes in satin and gloss.

Mike

Last edited:
I am a fan of a local prodcut called Bush Oil, which seems to be a commercialized version of the tried and true 1/3 each BLO, tung oil and urethanes. Easy to apply. I think it would be safe to handle after an hour or so, but I let my pieces sit overnight just to be sure. First coat goes on, wait 15 - 30 mins, then second coat, then wait 15 - 30 mins, wipe off excess and done after it dries (which I think is as quick as an hour).

I used some Bush Oil tonight on a lathe gouge handle made out of maple. Thinking of this thread I read the directions. It says to apply a liberal amount and wait 30 mins, then apply another liberal amount and wait 15 mins. Then wipe the remainder off. Ready for use in ~15 hours.