Red Elm Hollowform

Cody Colston

I've been doing a bunch of turning, mostly bowls, but also did this hollowform out of Red Elm a few days ago.

I didn't want to set up the photo booth so I just stood a piece of print paper against the wall behind my desk and took a couple snapshots.

It's 5 1/2" x 3 1/2" and has one coat of tung oil finish. Since the picture was taken I've sanded out the slight tearout you see in that one pic.

Attachments

• 48208a3e0b78cbca.jpeg
    48208a3e0b78cbca.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 482089a40e78e6a6.jpeg
    482089a40e78e6a6.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 46
I agree with Gord...you did a real nice job on this one, Cody. I really like the wood and the form, and minus the bit of tearout, I'm sure it's even better. Funny how sometimes tearout and tool marks don't show up until you take a few pics. That dog's bit me a few times, too.

Nicely done, Cody. The wood has a lot of character with the bark inclusion and other stuff going on. I don't believe I have ever seen red elm used before.
btw,,, wood turning would be a whole lot more fun without tear out :).

Thanks for the comments, y'all. You guys are always so encouraging.

Mohammad, you are not the first one to reference the world map comparison to the spalted area. I even thought that myself after I finished the piece.

Vaughn, tearout always shows up good after a coat of oil. I've learned to check it that way before final finishing. ;)

Steve, I sure appreciate your comments especially since you are so accomplished at these HF's.

Thanks again, all.