Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenlee table saw?

Question Greenlee table saw?

I have a chance to get a Greenlee table saw, daul arbor and takes a 14" to 16" blade. They are asking $500 or best offer. I do not need on this big, but for a good price, it might be worth it. There is no motor. I do have a 3 hp marathon(sp?) that can go on it. What do you think of this? One thing is for sure, I woulld never need a larger saw.

Other than space requirements the only drawback I can see is the cost associated with the blades. Is it a 1" arbor? Factor in your dado stack as well. One thig is for sure, it oughtta be big enough ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Does it look like this?

Borrowed from OWWM

If so, what Glean said. Probably 1" arbor so the price of blades is much higher. But it only hurts one time. Need to make sure that the fence and miter gage or there. These are not off the shelf items. I am thinking these are hard to find and pricey when you do.

This is the kind of table saw that you never replace. Big massive and I would expect a pleasure to use.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

And you likely need a crane to move it. That is one nice hunk of metal, though.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Jeff, it is the older model(478?). Yes the fence and and miter gauge are there. It is truely a fixer upper. Hopefully this does not cuase me to get addictated like Jeff.

It only weighs 1200#. Here is the pic the guy sent me[IMG][/IMG] and he said it is a 14-16" blade size. My buddy said he can make me a new arbor so it takes 12" blades. He is willing to lower the price, just wants it gone.

As was already mentioned, you want to make sure the fence and mitre gauge are there.

Other than that, I don't feel a 3hp motor on this beast is going to keep you happy, especially if you take advantage of blade capabilities.

I understand the allure of some of the old, heavy iron, but it would not be my first choice. Having worked on some different pieces I find that I like the capabilities of "newer" stuff. Better fences, standard miter slots, wider rip capabilities...and when it comes time to move it...so much less weight.

I like and appreciate the brute and weight of stuff like shapers, jointers and planers...not on a tablesaw...I've found my various cabinet saws to be very adequete to run.

My opinion...$500 for this motor less saw...too much money.

OK....just saw your latest post and pic.....How much is this guy willing to pay you to haul it away?

Doug
    Last edited by Douglas Jones; 05-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.

I would be jumping on that saw and I am perfectly happy with my Unisaw. That is a saw I would love to restore and I think I would enjoy using. But not at $500. Thats to steep for me for a saw that needs that much work. Your looking at at least 100 hours labor. Well maybe 200 for the average person. But it will probably bring that if all the parts are there. The most important thing about any old machines is completeness. Finding parts can be near impossible on some machines.

That saw appears very restorable on the surface. It would take a in depth look over to know for sure. BUT be aware this is a BIG project! Totally doable but a lot of hours. Also I notice that it appears to be flat belt driven. Thats not a draw back to me, but it is something to consider.

As for the 12" blade, I don't see why you need an adapter? If the arbor hole is correct it should just bolt on. Plus your going to loose cutting height, might not be a problem but you never know.

Jeff....I don't think the flat belt is for running the beast, rather it appears to be the strap someone used to move it and then just left the strap where it lie...

I don't get it though. I enjoy looking at antiques as much as anyone...don't get anything extra out of fighting with fences such as this thing has over a fence of todays design and length. Just me I guess.

Doug

Jeff, I am going to look at it in the a.m. and get some better pics. While I am there I willl see what all is missing. Yes it was driven by flat belt orginally. I have always wanted to rehab a old peice of equipment but have not had the means to do it. When I used to play with earth movers, I used to work on antique steam engines for fun. I have always enjoyed saveing a peice from the past if possible. Now maybe this will be the start of a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones View Post
    Jeff....I don't think the flat belt is for running the beast, ...
    There is a dead giveaway that it was flat belt. Look inside the base casting. There is a big flat belt round pulley in there. Thats the tensioner for the belt.

...don't get anything extra out of fighting with fences such as this thing has over a fence of todays design and length.
    First, I agree that a new Bessy fence is sweet. But that doesn't mean the old ones are bad. I still use my old Micro Set Rip Fence on my Unisaw, predecessor to Jet Lock and it works just fine. Not as convenient to use as a Modern fence but the end results are the same. When I restored it I was going to use this for a while and save up for a new fence. But I found it to work perfectly and that locking the rear rail separately wasn't a big deal

I have never used a Greenelee fence but doesn't look like you have have to 'fight' with it. Assuming of course it's not worn out. Looks like it has a good design that should stay put and adjust without problems. It's not as simple or as fast as a Bessy clone by an means, but I am not worried if it it takes me 30 seconds to adjust a fence as opposed to 5 seconds either. But each to his own.

I guess it's the same as the thing as are you a belt sander or Hand Plane guy.