Greenlee table saw?

Al killian

I have a chance to get a Greenlee table saw, daul arbor and takes a 14" to 16" blade. They are asking $500 or best offer. I do not need on this big, but for a good price, it might be worth it. There is no motor. I do have a 3 hp marathon(sp?) that can go on it. What do you think of this? One thing is for sure, I woulld never need a larger saw.:thumb::rofl:

Other than space requirements the only drawback I can see is the cost associated with the blades. Is it a 1" arbor? Factor in your dado stack as well. One thig is for sure, it oughtta be big enough ;-)

Does it look like this?

6441-A.JPG

Borrowed from OWWM

If so, what Glean said. Probably 1" arbor so the price of blades is much higher. But it only hurts one time. Need to make sure that the fence and miter gage or there. These are not off the shelf items. I am thinking these are hard to find and pricey when you do.

This is the kind of table saw that you never replace. Big massive and I would expect a pleasure to use.

Jeff, it is the older model(478?). Yes the fence and and miter gauge are there. It is truely a fixer upper. Hopefully this does not cuase me to get addictated like Jeff.:p

It only weighs 1200#:D. Here is the pic the guy sent me
Greenlee.jpg
[/IMG] and he said it is a 14-16" blade size. My buddy said he can make me a new arbor so it takes 12" blades. He is willing to lower the price, just wants it gone.

As was already mentioned, you want to make sure the fence and mitre gauge are there.

Other than that, I don't feel a 3hp motor on this beast is going to keep you happy, especially if you take advantage of blade capabilities.

I understand the allure of some of the old, heavy iron, but it would not be my first choice. Having worked on some different pieces I find that I like the capabilities of "newer" stuff. Better fences, standard miter slots, wider rip capabilities...and when it comes time to move it...so much less weight.

I like and appreciate the brute and weight of stuff like shapers, jointers and planers...not on a tablesaw...I've found my various cabinet saws to be very adequete to run.

My opinion...$500 for this motor less saw...too much money.

OK....just saw your latest post and pic.....How much is this guy willing to pay you to haul it away?

Doug

Last edited:
I would be jumping on that saw and I am perfectly happy with my Unisaw. That is a saw I would love to restore and I think I would enjoy using. But not at $500. Thats to steep for me for a saw that needs that much work. Your looking at at least 100 hours labor. Well maybe 200 for the average person. But it will probably bring that if all the parts are there. The most important thing about any old machines is completeness. Finding parts can be near impossible on some machines.

That saw appears very restorable on the surface. It would take a in depth look over to know for sure. BUT be aware this is a BIG project! Totally doable but a lot of hours. Also I notice that it appears to be flat belt driven. Thats not a draw back to me, but it is something to consider.

As for the 12" blade, I don't see why you need an adapter? If the arbor hole is correct it should just bolt on. Plus your going to loose cutting height, might not be a problem but you never know.

Jeff....I don't think the flat belt is for running the beast, rather it appears to be the strap someone used to move it and then just left the strap where it lie...

I don't get it though. I enjoy looking at antiques as much as anyone...don't get anything extra out of fighting with fences such as this thing has over a fence of todays design and length. Just me I guess.

Doug

Jeff, I am going to look at it in the a.m. and get some better pics. While I am there I willl see what all is missing. Yes it was driven by flat belt orginally. I have always wanted to rehab a old peice of equipment but have not had the means to do it. When I used to play with earth movers, I used to work on antique steam engines for fun. I have always enjoyed saveing a peice from the past if possible. Now maybe this will be the start of a slippery slope.

Jeff....I don't think the flat belt is for running the beast, ...

There is a dead giveaway that it was flat belt. Look inside the base casting. There is a big flat belt round pulley in there. Thats the tensioner for the belt.

...don't get anything extra out of fighting with fences such as this thing has over a fence of todays design and length.

First, I agree that a new Bessy fence is sweet. But that doesn't mean the old ones are bad. :dunno: I still use my old Micro Set Rip Fence on my Unisaw, predecessor to Jet Lock and it works just fine. Not as convenient to use as a Modern fence but the end results are the same. When I restored it I was going to use this for a while and save up for a new fence. But I found it to work perfectly and that locking the rear rail separately wasn't a big deal

I have never used a Greenelee fence but doesn't look like you have have to 'fight' with it. Assuming of course it's not worn out. Looks like it has a good design that should stay put and adjust without problems. It's not as simple or as fast as a Bessy clone by an means, but I am not worried if it it takes me 30 seconds to adjust a fence as opposed to 5 seconds either. But each to his own. ;)

I guess it's the same as the thing as are you a belt sander or Hand Plane guy.

Glad to hear your serious about it Al, just wanted to make sure you knew what your were getting into. I love my Unisaw and I am not looking for any old machines right now. But that would temp me!

Jeff, as for belt drive, I bow to your experience.

Having had the "pleasure" of using a Greenlee sliding table saw in a production shop I worked in, I can tell you I would never go back to it. I was so wore out at the end of a shift, pushing and pulling that huge steel table (felt like 500 lbs by end of day)...

It is one thing to take on a project like this for the joy of the restoration, we do it with old cars all the time...but we do not generally restore a old car to original specs with the idea that we are going to drive em everyday...unless of course, we stray from original and upgrade to some of todays technology...

Good luck with it Al and hope you have a great deal of fun....

I did it. When I called the guy on the phone to setup a inspection date the voice sounded like I knew him.:huh: So, I go up tthere today and as I pull into the driveway, one of my old raceing guys was there.:thumb: We talked for over a hour and finally made it over to check it out. It is a double arbor saw, not a sliding one, complete with two 12" blades. After finiding out most of the stuff still move fairly easy I asked the price. He told me $200 and he will drop it off in my shop for me.:thumb:

Jeff, If you do not mind I will be seeking your wisdom on this rehab as I go. The only thing that will be fun is figureing out how to run the flat belt drive.:huh::dunno:

Congrats, Al. This should be a fun project to watch. I hope you're planning on taking lots of pics along the way. ;)

Congrats or maybe condolences are in order?? :D I think that is a great price on that, I would have bought at that price and I don't want another project!

Flat belts are pretty straight forward. Just start looking for a motor to drive it and then you will need to buy or make a flat pulley. If you get really really luck you might find a set of motor rails. Leather stretches A LOT at first. So you have to adjust it a few times. These motor were often on long mounting rails so you could move the motor several inches. Of course that has a tensioner too, so thats a plus.

Al congrats! As Vaughn said, please take lots of pics along the way.

I've always wanted to get into old arn, but now I can get another fix watching your restore.:p Doesn't cost me a thing! Thanks. :thumb:

I will take plenty of pics. You should have seen the look on the wifes face when I told her that my ts was being deliverd via a flat bed.Oh the weight of this best according to owwm.com is 2700#. He has the flat belt pulley that is meant to mount to the wall. Hopefully I will have the first batch saturday as he unloads it. I feel like a kid on x-mas morin.:D

I hate to say it, but this is not going to happen. I had a good freind who has several old ww machine look at it. He said it was not worth trying to salvage. Some of the problems he found: worn arbor, cracked bearing houseing, damaged table tilter and a few other things. So, this is not going to happen. I am glad he looked it over before I took delivery of it. Sorry for the tease.:(