Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My MJ Wannabe

My MJ Wannabe

The picture says it all! (For those of you who don't know MJ very well, she really, really likes planting veggies and flowers. Something tells me Alyson will be like that in a few more years)

I am just hoping Ally and Mommy did not plant these flowers to early, there was a pretty good frost on the ground this morning.The old timers always said "never plant stuff before the first full moon in May", so we got another week to go before we are out of danger.

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 05-13-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Awwww... Ally's so cute, look at her toiling away over the flower beds, that's a good sight to see. She's a sweetie pie.

You know I also started playing in the dirt at about her age. Ally will be building ponds before you know it. And when I was little, I was also a towhead blonde. Watch out for those little blondes.

--MJ, doing a lot more "water gardening" in the last couple of days... heavy rain here... .. Derek Walcott was right.
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Isles View Post
    And when I was little, I was also a towhead blonde. Watch out for those little blondes.
    Oh I'll be watching out for her. I already have my line picked out so when those eager boys come over to take her out on a date, I'll put the fear of Daddy into them.

"Listen son, I have a shot gun, a shovel and 1600 acres..."

I got a few years before I have to worry about using that line though.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post

Travis, if you don't mind I'm going to use a version of that when the time comes...not quite 1600 acres though. Great pic too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    Oh I'll be watching out for her. I already have my line picked out so when those eager boys come over to take her out on a date, I'll put the fear of Daddy into them.

travis, those years are going to close very fast. Like lightning.

I once used a similar line on my daughters high school prom date, told him see, I have this gun license, and a gun, and the rest is self explanatory.
    My daughter told me she might never get a date again.
    (so what I figured, that doesnt bother me one bit)

Funny, my wife keeps mentioning that Grandpa has a few hundred acres and won't say a word...he'll just fire up the tractor and dig the hole.

Travis, you've got a great thing on your hands there. Ironically she may be doing the planting, but in reality you planted that seed and are getting to watch it grow. Enjoy every second, it's funny how time flies, mine is already 17.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-15-2008 at 03:38 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

As my neighbor back home used to say to the suitors who wandered back the long lane to his daughter's home... "Young man, did anyone see you come back h'yeah?"

He also used that one with the door-to-door preacher boys. Worked every time.

--MJ (still think Ally is as cute as a button!)
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Funny, my wife keeps mentioning that Grandpa has a few hundred acres and won't say a word...he'll just fire up the tractor and dig the hole.

Travis, you've got a great thing on your hands there. Ironically she may be doing the planting, but in reality you planted that seed and are getting to watch it grow. Enjoy every second, it's funny how time flies, mine is already 17.
    My line sounds good, but actually I think its too much work, all that digging and stuff, plus Maine has all those rocks. I think utilizing the Atlantic Ocean would be better. The water's to cold "to give up the dead", as the fishermen call it and the digging is easier.

Of course Maine had 3 million people in this state in 1820 or so, so there are plenty of old house foundations around, and even more hand dug wells. That might save wearing out a shovel or two.

Now for a more serious question for all you Daddy's who have had to deal with Gentlemen Callers who came for your daughters...how did you counter-act the desire to grab the little hormone infested, pimply-faced little peep-squeak by the throat, threaten him to within an inch of his life, and instead remain civil? Not sure I can do that, especially now since what we did at 18 is what they are doing at 15.

I gotta admit, I think when the time comes I'll see what the new Amish Family has for boys about her age. She looked cute in a bonnet when she was 6 months old, plus she will never have to worry about the rising cost of fuel, or her KW consumption per month. Besides I'm not above arranging a marriage for Alyson, or paying a dowry or something

It was kind of funny, Alyson goes to DayCare 1 day a week, which is typically on Thursdays. Well yesterday they went for a walk and the DayCare Provider uses a long rope with loops that the kids are supposed to hang onto. Well Alyson just plain refused to grip the rope. She's typically well behaved but the DayCare Provider just could not get her to hold onto that rope.

Well its funny because Alyson loves to go for walks. Well I got a few acres for her to play in so as long as we are not near the road, she is safe to play and discover on her own. After seeing a few of these pictures you can see why Alyson had no interest in holding onto a stupid rope. She is used to discovering things for herself.

Its also true you see the world differently through a child. As we went for this walk that day,she would just stoop down and marvel with total wonder at the grasses growing up in the hayfield. She was just mesmerized by the grass. At one point I stopped and looked at some with here, and you know what...right under her hand was a 4 leaf clover. I will always remember that walk and the irony of it all. Sometimes in our lives we just got to stop and "smell the roses", or in this case, check out the grass.

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of Little Bitty Alyson in a great big field (40 acres). Now you can see why she didn't want to hold onto a rope and be lead somewhere by someone else. She is used to discovering on her own. (She is kind of hard to spot in the second picture)

Here is another picture for you MJ,. but this time closer up and with Mommy in the picture. Just don't make fun of my Rhododendron in the left-foreground of the picture. It looks kind of spindly, but with 200 inches of snow this year, it was a hard winter.

PS MJ: Note pink boots