Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this is why I need a router table or stacked dado blades

this is why I need a router table or stacked dado blades

my wifes been on me to make anything to cover up all the soda, water, juice cases we keep in the kitchen for everyone.
    She says she needs a new kitchen with more cabinet space, I laugh at that.
    I promised her Id make her something, she said, anything, just 4 boards nailed together with a piece of wood to cover this mess.
    So a simple box with 2 doors, and now I know I need to get either some dado blades for the TS, or a router table.
    I had a cheap set of blades, but I returned them after I didnt use them for 6 months. Figured, router and the guide is good enough for one or two dados here and there.
    Well, first pass went well, shallow, held the router perfectly straight.
    Second deeper pass, its history.
    Ill use it since I dont have much ply left, and I dont want to buy anything.
    bottom line on both sides are even and straight. unless I build a jig for every piece I cut for a dado, its tough to get a perfect cut handheld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 206 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-13-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Ouch! Two ways to help avoid this in the future. One might be to use two guide fences, one clamped to either side of the router base so it cannot go astray. Another would be to rout in the opposite direction from the way you did this one so that the bit rotation pulls the router tight to the fence.

I've had this happen before (can you tell?). Not fun.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Allen, just as Rennie said...check out this article from workbench mag.

Dado router jig
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Ive seen some simple jigs for routing out a straight line for a shelf, but I just wanted to get this thing built and didnt want to start making jigs.
    the shelf went in straight, I put a faceframe on the cabinet and a face on the ply shelf so I can just paint it and it would be smooth.
    Its not going to be in such a visible spot.

yeah, I take pictures of almost everything I build, figured I might as well use the camera I got, its outdated, but takes nice pictures of wood.Poplar faceframe, I will make poplar door frames, sanded ply for door, simple, paint it all white, didnt even bother to attach frame with biscuits or just glue, tacked it on with brads and filled in nail holes.
    the shelf is high so it holds 2 cases of snapple or bottled water below, and soda cans on top.
    instead of it all being on the floor under a kitchen desk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 208 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-13-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Really doesn't take a jig...just a piece of straight lumber clamped to the piece and used as a guide will work.

Looks like you get 'er done anyway, Alan.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here's my solution and the how to: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3367
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Al,

Rennie gave you some pretty sage advice and it doesnt' have to be fancy or expensive. When I built an oak sideboard for my wife I dadoed the shelves. I'd bought a wobble blade for my t/s but wasn't happy with the results. I took 4 pieces of 1x2 and built a jig for my router. 2 short pieces to connect the ends of the 2 longer pieces. The distance between the 2 longer pieces was set by placing the router between them and screw the two shorter pieces to their ends. By having two parallel guides, the router has to go where you want it to....
    Ken
    ------

it doesnt get much simpler than that I guess.
    My next box cabinet, Im using oak lumber for the top and sides, I dont want any mistakes. Ill build the jig for sure.

and this is why if I leave my clamps up at someones house, I need to buy a few more.
    (I thought it looked funny, so why not take a picture, IM having fun at least)

I ran out of glue, ran over to the store, my wife left me a message. she thinks shes funny. shes lucky Im used to her
    I guess Ill go wash the car now.( I had to take that picture, in case I need a new ts soon, I can tell her she rusted the surface)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiki 211 (Medium).jpg   Tiki 213 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-14-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Allen, guess you can't upgrade to the new lithium ion ryobi 18volt batteries....they weigh less which would limit your clamping ability.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website