Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: walnut hall table

walnut hall table

when i started the thread on the quilted mahogany table i said i was working on two pieces for the texas furniture makers show-this is the other piece, it's a walnut hall table-it's tall 36" the top is one board 15 1/2" wide and 70" long with the bread board ends-the secondary wood is sapodilla.
    yesterday it looked like this -the only thing glued at this point is the cross pieces between the stretcher- oh and use your imagination for the drawers (i do)four of them- anyway this is where i'm at .

this is how i started -i get the design in my mind , as you can see i don't do a lot of drawing-

i pick a piece of walnut from my stash - i would like it to finish out 1" thick but you can see where the saw dipped in- so i run it across the jointer to 7/8" and i have to give up 11" of length to even get 7/8" minus a little.

then i make a real size drawing

i trace the leg on parchment paper for a templet

checking the templet

i would like to get all four legs out of the same board

i get all four from this piece-it had a few funny knots so i had to do some funny sawing

after i band saw the legs i plane them close to where i want to end up

i pick out these two book-matched board that have a nice whorl from a crotch

taking a look

more to come-rounding off the sharp corners
    alex

very very nice design alex. i like it alot.

can't wait to see it finished

chris

It looks great! Thanks for the progress shots!

some of the more to come
    each leg has two mortises for a through and wedged tenon -because the legs are curved each of the four stretcher has a bevel cut down it's length so the top side of the stretchers will be plumb- this puts the mortises at a off angle -to cut them on my neat red-necked rigged mortiser i would have to think up some odd jig to hold them so i drill them and trim clean with chisels.

i cut the tenons on the band saw after i trim each to fit its mortise then i clamp all the parts that are cut out together-so i can take a look see-

alex

Alex,

Looks great. It looks like a set of japanese chisels you are using there. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Hi Alex ,
    This is a wonderful project and well put together for us in the step by step. Thanks you. So often we see pictures of the material , then we see pictures of the finished product. Your photo and explanation are very good. Appreciate your input.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

next i lay out for the panel to fit into the leg-the panel will be in a groove in the leg and be doweled inside the grooved-to get the right points where the groove starts and stops i lay the leg and the panel board in place on the real size drawing and mark where they part-then i mark for the dowels.

boring the dowel holes

g[/IMG]

g[/IMG]

to cut the groove i clamp the legs to a straight board

i plane the panel boards down to 1/2' and put it together on the most level place in my shop-the big jointer

you know i'm really way past this-i glued the base together and cut out the drawer fronts today.
    alex

oh al in japan-the chisels are iyoroi-iv'e had them for about 10 years-also the last pic of the stand on the jointer the panels have little sapodilla bread-board ends-if you have never used sapodilla it's a beautiful wood much prized down south where it grows but if there was ever a wood you should wear a filter to keep from breathing the dust this is it-run a piece through the saw and two hours later you still taste it - if you never tasted a sapodillo fruit well one of lives little pleasures.

rounding off the sharp corners
    alex

after the side panels are fit i lay out the cross pieces -three between the top two stretchers-the up-rights that the top sets on will be laminated to these cross pieces-the one cross piece between the two bottom stretchers has the same crotch whorl as the end panels and the same whorl is on the top.

cutting the top pieces on the #1 saw-

cutting the bottom piece on the #3 saw-

the cross pieces are doweled -

gluing the cross pieces

laying out the sapodilla uprights

the uprights are made from three pieces-the top and bottom were cut from the same piece of wood the center has the grain running up and down and is doweled between the other two

rounding off the sharp corners
    alex

Looking really good.