walnut hall table

when i started the thread on the quilted mahogany table i said i was working on two pieces for the texas furniture makers show-this is the other piece, it's a walnut hall table-it's tall 36" the top is one board 15 1/2" wide and 70" long with the bread board ends-the secondary wood is sapodilla.
yesterday it looked like this -the only thing glued at this point is the cross pieces between the stretcher- oh and use your imagination for the drawers (i do)four of them- anyway this is where i'm at .
DSCF0004-4.jpg

this is how i started -i get the design in my mind , as you can see i don't do a lot of drawing-
DSCF0003.jpg

i pick a piece of walnut from my stash - i would like it to finish out 1" thick but you can see where the saw dipped in- so i run it across the jointer to 7/8" and i have to give up 11" of length to even get 7/8" minus a little.

DSCF0024-1.jpg

then i make a real size drawing
DSCF0042.jpg

i trace the leg on parchment paper for a templet
DSCF0023-1.jpg

checking the templet
DSCF0046-1.jpg

i would like to get all four legs out of the same board
DSCF0009-3.jpg

i get all four from this piece-it had a few funny knots so i had to do some funny sawing
DSCF0019-3.jpg

after i band saw the legs i plane them close to where i want to end up
DSCF0031-1.jpg

i pick out these two book-matched board that have a nice whorl from a crotch
DSCF0030-1.jpg

taking a look
DSCF0021-3.jpg

more to come-rounding off the sharp corners
alex

some of the more to come
each leg has two mortises for a through and wedged tenon -because the legs are curved each of the four stretcher has a bevel cut down it's length so the top side of the stretchers will be plumb- this puts the mortises at a off angle -to cut them on my neat red-necked rigged mortiser i would have to think up some odd jig to hold them so i drill them and trim clean with chisels.
DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

i cut the tenons on the band saw after i trim each to fit its mortise then i clamp all the parts that are cut out together-so i can take a look see-
DSCF0007-4.jpg

DSCF0006-3.jpg

alex

Hi Alex :wave:,
This is a wonderful project and well put together for us in the step by step. Thanks you. So often we see pictures of the material , then we see pictures of the finished product. Your photo and explanation are very good. Appreciate your input.
Shaz :)

next i lay out for the panel to fit into the leg-the panel will be in a groove in the leg and be doweled inside the grooved-to get the right points where the groove starts and stops i lay the leg and the panel board in place on the real size drawing and mark where they part-then i mark for the dowels.
DSCF0010-2.jpg

boring the dowel holes
DSCF0024-2.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

g[/IMG]
DSCF0039.jpg

g[/IMG]
DSCF0041.jpg

to cut the groove i clamp the legs to a straight board
DSCF0044-1.jpg

i plane the panel boards down to 1/2' and put it together on the most level place in my shop-the big jointer
DSCF0006-4.jpg

you know i'm really way past this-i glued the base together and cut out the drawer fronts today.
alex

oh al in japan-the chisels are iyoroi-iv'e had them for about 10 years-also the last pic of the stand on the jointer the panels have little sapodilla bread-board ends-if you have never used sapodilla it's a beautiful wood much prized down south where it grows but if there was ever a wood you should wear a filter to keep from breathing the dust this is it-run a piece through the saw and two hours later you still taste it - if you never tasted a sapodillo fruit well one of lives little pleasures.

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

after the side panels are fit i lay out the cross pieces -three between the top two stretchers-the up-rights that the top sets on will be laminated to these cross pieces-the one cross piece between the two bottom stretchers has the same crotch whorl as the end panels and the same whorl is on the top.
DSCF0013-2.jpg

cutting the top pieces on the #1 saw-
DSCF0019-4.jpg

cutting the bottom piece on the #3 saw-
DSCF0021-4.jpg

the cross pieces are doweled -
DSCF0001-4.jpg

gluing the cross pieces
DSCF0025-2.jpg

laying out the sapodilla uprights
DSCF0011-2.jpg

DSCF0009-2.jpg

the uprights are made from three pieces-the top and bottom were cut from the same piece of wood the center has the grain running up and down and is doweled between the other two
DSCF0010-3.jpg

alex

Will the drawers be going between the 3 pedestals in the topmost pic? Right now it looks a bit visually disturbing to me - in my mind the pedestals clash with the graceful curves of the four legs. The craftsmanship looks phenomenal nonetheless though.

I'd be interested in seeing an end picture of the table to see how the pedestal profiles look with the curved legs.

I agree - thank you for the "play by play" - very educational!

Will the drawers be going between the 3 pedestals in the topmost pic? Right now it looks a bit visually disturbing to me - in my mind the pedestals clash with the graceful curves of the four legs. The craftsmanship looks phenomenal nonetheless though.

I'd be interested in seeing an end picture of the table to see how the pedestal profiles look with the curved legs.

I agree - thank you for the "play by play" - very educational!

yes the drawers will be between the pedestals -four drawers -the two top drawers will be hung from the table top-and the two bottom drawers will set on the stretchers-the drawer face is 3" and there will be a 3" space between the bottom and the top drawer-the drawers i hope bring it more together-also when finished a view from the end you will see the side of the drawers witch will be sapodilla the fronts will be walnut- i'm getting close to making the drawers and will post pics as soon as done.

alex

after the cross pieces are glued and dried i take the ends off-they look a little fat in the middle so i plane a 1/4" off from the center to nothing towards the ends
DSCF0016-2.jpg

i make a templet for the curve on the flat sides
DSCF0029-3.jpg

DSCF0035-3.jpg

DSCF0004-5.jpg

DSCF0028-1.jpg

it all looks good fits good so i glue it up.

alex

taking a little off the top
DSCF0033.jpg

now i'm ready to put on the up-rights, they will be glued and screwed
DSCF0014-3.jpg

the bread board ends will look like the ones i put on a table a few years back
DSCF0028-2.jpg

the dovetailed splines only go in 3" they are glued to the bread board end and are loose in the table top with the dovetailed groove cut in the top about a 1/4" longer so the table can move -
fitting the ends to the top
DSCF0002-4.jpg

-cutting for the dovetail in the top is a little harry
DSCF0002-5.jpg

DSCF0004-6.jpg

DSCF0005-1.jpg

to cut the slots in both the top and the ends i first use a straight bit then the dovetail bit-here i use my neat red-necked rigged mortiser to mill the slot in the ends
DSCF0011-3.jpg

beveling the ends on the #3 saw
DSCF0003-4.jpg

DSCF0013-3.jpg

alex

alex, i almost asked earlier what the drawing of the sliding dovetail was for in the 1st post, but i figured you'd let us know and now i see. very nice detail. i think that is the first breadboard end i have seen where the end piece is thicker, i kinda like the look, a little unexpected, but nice

keep it comin, i'm enjoying this

alex, i almost asked earlier what the drawing of the sliding dovetail was for in the 1st post, but i figured you'd let us know and now i see. very nice detail. i think that is the first breadboard end i have seen where the end piece is thicker, i kinda like the look, a little unexpected, but nice

keep it comin, i'm enjoying this
chris the dovetail in that drawing was an idea for the top cross pieces to be connected to the stretchers but i doweled them, the bread board end being thicker than the top-i saw krenov do that on one of his pieces-the dovetail spline well i've never seen anyone else do that (i'm sure someone has)-i rarely will make a piece more than once so the design is always changing-maybe it just doesn't fit together the way i thought it would-maybe i clamp the parts together to take a look and it don't look like i thought it would ,so it changes ;case in point the three sapodilla uprights that the top will be screwed to -the ones mark kosmowski found a bit disturbing-those now have been cut down from 9" to 6" i think it makes for better balance,though sam across the alley liked them taller and says i'm just reverting back to being conventional-anyway now instead of four drawers there will be only two - so i'm ready to start the drawers tomorrow.
DSCF0022-1.jpg

my dovetail jig
the table today
DSCF0005-3.jpg

alex

well it's been awhile since i posted-last post i talked about my designs being flexible and until the piece is done somethings can always change-so i knocked the table top off the saw-horses where i had put it-luckily the bread board-ends were in place - not permanently - so the bread-board end protected the neat little dovetailed grooves cut in the table top corners-not so lucky was the bread board end-it split-anyway the bread board-ends have changed to goncolo-alves and also the drawer front will be goncolo-alves .

new ends-
DSCF0012-2.jpg

DSCF0013-3.jpg

the table top has three cocobolo battens screwed to the underside;these have a inserts in both ends with machine threads-
by planing a little here and there off the battens the top will be leveled.

finding level
DSCF0006-6.jpg

planing a little here and there
DSCF0003-5.jpg

the screws are in slotted holes-for when the top has to move around a little-
DSCF0009-4.jpg

DSCF0010-4.jpg

before i put the bread-board ends on for good i hollow out the center of the table top end just a little-
DSCF0016-3.jpg

DSCF0007-7.jpg

DSCF0002-7.jpg

DSCF0001-5.jpg

alex