Cool blocks for bandsaw made out of teflon?

I've thinking about replacing the metal top rollers of my bandsaw guide, by cool blocks, but as they are not available here I'm thinking in using teflon instead and make them myself.

Given the lubricant properties of teflon and the heat resistance that it has I think it could work.
Do you think that it could work? Has anyone tried anything similar? I've seen that some people use blocks of lignum vitae wood.

Any comments will be greatley appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I used to work for a company that extruded Teflon into rods. The thing that I would be concerned with is that the Teflon rods were pretty soft. How would they wear? The entire plastic utensil industry grew up around the primary drawback (softness) of Teflon.

Toni, the cool block are a fiber material impregnated with a graphite mix of stuff, they are somewhat soft, but they do work well.

I made up some guide blocks for Big Blue from some of that UHMW stuff (Ultra High Molecular Weight). Most any good dense hard wood will work well, just soak the pieces of wood in oil, motor oil works well, for a while.

Cheers!

I think teflon will flow under pressure; cool blocks don't. UHMW PE might be better than teflon, but hard maple works fine. I use wax rather than oil, but the idea is the same.

What was that stuff Sam Blasco used to run the small blades in, I'm drawing a blank at the moment, was it Phenolic?:huh: I can't even remember if the tutorial like thread he made about it was on here or SMC.:doh:

I have been thinking of making some out of Corian. What think ye of that idea? I have made them of hardwood soaked in BLO but primary use was for small blades and I allowed the blocks to surround the blade making a sacrifice guide.

I have been thinking of making some out of Corian. What think ye of that idea? I have made them of hardwood soaked in BLO but primary use was for small blades and I allowed the blocks to surround the blade making a sacrifice guide.

I have some scraps of Corian, I would be very, very careful using it for such application. Form what I know of Corian, (we had to make a project at school out of it) it is really hard and it has charges in it.
By charges I mean mineral powder or particles. We had to use special widia ( i don't know if it's called like that in english) blades on the table saw to cut.

I've never tested its sliding properties, but it breaks as if it was stone.

Last edited: