Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veneering processes?

Veneering processes?

I have in the past used contact cement for doing veneers, how ever I have been told that this should not be used. So what I am looking for is how you do veneering that will not fit in a bag. Also what type of glue you use. Have been thinking of useing some plastic resin and some weight to see how that works. OK back to the shop for more wireing.

Where's Tod when ya need him.....

Tod is "da Man" for veneering...among other things.

How big is the panel you need to veneer. If it's small, I use a couple of torsion boxes. If it's big, you can't beat a bag.

Glue choices are also affected by the size. If it's small, standard yellow glue on the substrate only will work. If it's big, yellow glue is too fast and you'll need something with more open time. Urea formaldhyde is good. See Joe Woodworker for some glue.

Do not use contact cement unless the veneer is paper backed.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, The first peice will be a secetry(sp?) desk roughly 18" deepx 30" high x 30" long, plus the three drawer fronts. The other peice will be a top to a vanity, which is about 2'x 15" and two small drawers. I am planning on trying some plastic resin glue to see how that works.

mornin` al!
    like mike says you can do it with torsion boxes-n-clamps.....but why?
    if you don`t have a large enough bag cost out what building torsion boxes would run vs buying a cheap vinyl bag...i`ll bet the bag will be cheaper and i know that it`d last for more than one glue-up.
    avoid contact cement for all wood veneers....even paperbacked, if you use solvent based finishes you stand a chance of weakening the glue bond and getting bubbles.
    from your post i gather that you have a vacuum pump?
    here`s a 2`x4` from joe woodworker for 100$
    http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...bf443825a7ba76
    and on the clearance rack at qualityvak there`s a 13"x60" vinyl for 20$
    http://www.qualityvak.com/clearance.html

as for glue....i use plain ol` yellow glue for 95% of my stuff....but if you want more open time urea glue is good. dap/unibond/ or an industrial glue such as DR from national casein.
    seaming and flattening are going to be the biggest hurdles for the first time veneer`er.......so do a practice run without glue before you do your glue-up..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Trying to be helpful...

curved cauls and a couple of clamps make a great press.

top and bottom:

or on top if you have a flat rigid surface:

no power tools needed.

I wish there was a vacuum pump in my shop. That is on the short list of things to buy. How big of a pump would you recommend? I rather buy one that will last for many years rather then have to upgrade do to lack of power/sucktion. Thanks again for the the help.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    mornin` al!
    like mike says you can do it with torsion boxes-n-clamps.....but why?
    if you don`t have a large enough bag cost out what building torsion boxes would run vs buying a cheap vinyl bag...i`ll bet the bag will be cheaper and i know that it`d last for more than one glue-up.
    avoid contact cement for all wood veneers....even paperbacked, if you use solvent based finishes you stand a chance of weakening the glue bond and getting bubbles.
    from your post i gather that you have a vacuum pump?
    here`s a 2`x4` from joe woodworker for 100$
    http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...bf443825a7ba76
    and on the clearance rack at qualityvak there`s a 13"x60" vinyl for 20$
    http://www.qualityvak.com/clearance.html

as for glue....i use plain ol` yellow glue for 95% of my stuff....but if you want more open time urea glue is good. dap/unibond/ or an industrial glue such as DR from national casein.
    seaming and flattening are going to be the biggest hurdles for the first time veneer`er.......so do a practice run without glue before you do your glue-up..
    I don't disagree with Tod at all. I will point out why I use torsion boxes on small glue-ups, however. I have a very small shop (10'x11') so when I want to use my vacuum bag I have to do a major reconfiguration of my shop. So if the glue up is smaller than about 24"x24" I use a couple of torsion boxes that I already have. Of course, I have to store the torsion boxes which is a different problem. There's just no easy answer for us small shop people.

My shop is so small, I have my vacuum pump on a shelf about 8' up and have wired it to a switch so I can turn it off and on. See pixs. I also use the vacuum pump for vacuum chucking on my lathe.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum-pump-1.jpg   Vacuum-pump-2.jpg  
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    I wish there was a vacuum pump in my shop. That is on the short list of things to buy. How big of a pump would you recommend? I rather buy one that will last for many years rather then have to upgrade do to lack of power/sucktion. Thanks again for the the help.
    al, a pump/bag/filter/line ect. for a small system will set you back several hundred.........follow mike or craigs advice unless you have need for the vacuum?......if you do then bang for the buck the 220v gast pump from surplus center;
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1540&catname=
    is the best deal going!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ...My shop is so small, I have my vacuum pump on a shelf about 8' up and have wired it to a switch so I can turn it off and on. See pixs. I also use the vacuum pump for vacuum chucking on my lathe.

Mike
    I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the cord wrapping posts on the nice vacuum pump setup you made. Something tells me you didn't originally plan to have it up on the shelf. Nice rig, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com