Bandsaw

Well the 10" Delta bandsaw I use for cutting lidded box, ornaments, pen's blanks, etc. bit the dust tonight. The shaft sheared right at the rotor/armature. I got on the net and checked at the Delta website and they said the motor was $157 so I called. Kinda bummed me out that the motor was that much and I paid $129.99 for the saw. So I called them. The told me it was discontinued with no replacement. They said when B & D took them over they were not having any parts made for those and several other pieces. I was hot. So I asked about dealers close to me in Kansas or Colorado. Cheapest one I could find was $195. Would not even talk about it. I really liked this saw but can see paying almost twice for a motor than what I give for the saw.

So one question I have is does anyone have any idea's about another 10" bandsaw? Like I said mostly for box blanks and pen blanks. The wife also uses it like a scroll saw and likes it better than the scroll saw I got her. No I don't need a big one as I have the Grizzly Ultimate with riser. I just get tired of switching blades to do small jobs. I really like the 10" but have a hard time except for Craftsman or Rikon which are one in the same. Only difference is the Rikon has a aluminum table with no fence and the Craftsman has a cast iron table with a fence. Reviews on it out of 56 was 4.1. Any suggestions? Thanks

Is the busted saw a direct drive motor?

Is it possible to replace the motor with something else?

Pictures please :D

Just did some looking around and I found this........

<< Linky Pic
Ryobi 10" bandsaw

It looks like it gets good marks, in that review, also in >> THIS << review, but finding one for sale seems to be a problem :huh:

Of course you could buy your LAST small bandsaw and get an Inca 340 :D

One for sale in LA >> HERE <<

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention the motor is direct drive. The pulley the blade runs on mounts directly on the motor shaft with a slot key. The motor mounts directly to the frame of the saw with 3 bolts. I will do some more research but like I said I only paid $129 for the unit and don't want to spend a bunch of money trying to fix it. I would buy a 12" one but it needs to go on my bench so has to be a bench top unit. I just do not have room for a floor model.

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention the motor is direct drive. The pulley the blade runs on mounts directly on the motor shaft with a slot key. The motor mounts directly to the frame of the saw with 3 bolts...

Bernie,
What's the shaft size, and what is the motor rpm? If the shaft size is a standard, like 1/2" or 5/8", and the speed is somewhere around 1000~1200 rpm, then you might be able to adapt a more common off-the-shelf motor to it.

Note: the most common motor speed is 1725 rpm, and that would give you 4500 feet per minute (fpm) blade speed, which is a bit fast. 3000 fpm is the commonly recommended speed.

Well contacted a couple of motor companies to see about getting a motor or seeing if they would have a motor that would fit. Grainger had one that would have to have the mounting modified but still wanted $118 for one close to the 1125 rpm on the machine now.

Anyway I called Sears in Colby about 32 miles from us and he said he had sold 4 of the 21400 10" bandsaw and gave me the names. One of the gentleman I called told me to come over and I could use his to see if it fit my needs. So I did. It has bearings top and bottom for blade guides and cast table instead of aluminum. Comes with fence and miter. Resaws 4 5/8". We resawed a piece of 1 X 3 oak just a hair under 1/8" and it did a really nice job. He told me to get a good timberwolf blade which I use anyway. It was quiet and no vibration.

So I went to the Sears store and bought one. It was on sale to boot from $189 down to $149. Since this was a franchise store they had to order it but no big deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions, help and kind words.

Bernie, congrats on the new bandsaw...went to sears.com to take a look at it and its sold out there too. Hope yours arrives very soon so you can get back to cutting.

Thanks Jeff and Stu. Yep Stu it is going to do what I want for sure since I didn't buy it to resaw as I have the big Griz with a woodslicer blade for that. I just wanted one that would fit the bench and that I would not have to keep changing blades out on the big saw. I got 1/8" timberwolf blades today so the LOML can do her scrolling on it. She likes it better than a scroll saw. I also got 1/4" PC & RK and 3/8" PC & RK. I guess these things are really popular. I read the reviews on Amazon and Sears site. Sears had 56 reviews for a overall 4.1.

Attachments

• Sear Bandsaw 1.jpg
    Sear Bandsaw 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: