Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Bowl

Segmented Bowl

Well here is my first segmented bowl and probably the last at least till I retire so I can have some time to work on these. I think it turned out pretty good for no more time than I put into it. I didn't realize how much time was involved. Anyway it is cherry on the bottom, next row is cherry, cherry/walnut/purpleheart, next two rows are cherry and then the top row is again cherry/walnut/purpleheart. Finished with 4 coats of Antique oil and buffed. I made this for the LOML for mothers day. I have a long ways to go on these but at least I can say I did one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Segmented Bowl 1.jpg   Segmented Bowl 2.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, nice first try. I think it came out pretty good. The first one one is usually the hardest. I think you will find the next one much easier.

Gorgeous, Bernie!
    Any estimate to the time you put into it? Must be a few hours just getting it ready to start turning, eh?
    I could say it was worth the effort but I didn't put the effort into it.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

So now that you are hooked on polychromatic segmented wood turning when can we expect competition for Malcolm?

When I first started turning a segmented piece I did not have the guts to cut my parts from exotic woods so I used plain old pine. It worked just fine and from there I move on to use exotic woods but I seldom mixed them in a bowl. I left my mixing for larger urns and such.

One suggestion I might make is to overlap your rings by half a segment width and you will have a much stronger bowl. The way you have everything lined up you are depending a lot on end grain to end grain glue joints. They should hold but in the long run overlapping is better.

By the way it is a great looking polychromatic segmented bowl!
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Looks Good Bernie

Like Mike said, overlap the joints like you would with Legos

Boy that does look like it would take a LONG time to build up.

Nice job, your first one is WAY better than mine, cause I've not had the guts to try one!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the comments. Yep Big Mike there are some things I should have or could of did different. The wife got me a book on Ray Allen by Dale Nish. I didn't even think about staggering them instead of trying to line the up. I guess you don't learn till you do it. Stu there is a awful lot of time involved but hopefully doing more of them and better jigs it will take a shorter amount of time plus get easier.

Also before I do another I will finish reading this book and will get Malcolm's book. If I am going to do many of these I will build some good jigs and glue jigs. I will also build a nice press rather than one of my 50 lb weights I use for weight lifting.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good start, Bernie. You're one segmented bowl ahead of me. The first of everything is a learning experience.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bernie, I know how much time you have to spend on segmented turnings, and not to forget patient. Your first try is a way better than my first segmented bowl. So you did a great job on both, and I know now you're hooked
    Don't wait till you are retired, so keep them coming.
    Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I will also build a nice press rather than one of my 50 lb weights I use for weight lifting.

That is exactly how I do my segmented glue ups... with 50 lb. weights.

If you really get serious about polychromatic segmented woodturning here is a picture of a press you can buy from Grizzly for about $50 and modify for that purpose by using threaded rod and pipe for extensions to give enough clearance under the press..

The second picture shows a way of clamping we all are familiar with...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0280.JPG   IMG_0282.JPG  
    Last edited by Mike Stafford; 05-18-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.