Rocking Chair Win

Cerritos College, where I take woodworking classes, held it's annual woodworking competition today. I entered my "Contemporary Craftsman" rocking chair and won first place in the chair making category. In addition to a ribbon, it came with a $150 prize.

I forgot to take a picture at the school so the picture below was taken after I got home.

Mike

Attachments

• Rocker-Cerritos-small.jpg
    Rocker-Cerritos-small.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 111
Thanks everyone. To comment on Shaz's note, one of the judges was Paul Schurch. He has his studio in Santa Barbara and somehow they got him to come down and participate in the judging. There were two other judges but I don't remember their names - they were not as well known as Paul Schurch.

His expertise is marquetry but his furniture work is exquisite. See here if you're not familiar with his work.

Mike

[Analyzing the judging, I think the reason I won is that the design of my chair is a bit more unique. Most of the other work was more traditional, meaning that it looked like furniture that has already been made. Many of the other chairs could have been copies of existing chairs. Design was a big factor in the judging.]

Last edited:
Hey Mike! Congratulations for the price, that must be the best encouragement one can have!:thumb:

What are you going to do with the price? Get some more wood to make another one?:)

Hey Mike! Congratulations for the price, that must be the best encouragement one can have!:thumb:

What are you going to do with the price? Get some more wood to make another one?:)
I don't know yet, Toni. My wife claims that the money belongs to her since I built the rocker for her so I may not even see it.

I haven't received the prize money yet. They mail out the prize money so I won't receive it for a week or so - I'll spend that time thinking about what I need - and negotating with my wife!

Thanks for your post.

Mike

[For anyone who's interested, you can see more pictures of the rocker here, about two "page downs". Those pictures were taken when I first finished the rocker so you can see how much cherry darkens with age (here, only a couple of months) - although I did try to put the rocker in the light during those months.]

Last edited:
glad you got the ribbon mike that was a fine looking chair, i could use 6 of those in the non rocking version:D then i would have avery happy better half.. very nice work mike:thumb: