My new shop

A few months ago I decided to downsize by moving out out of my big expensive workshop, letting my staff go, and sharing a smaller shop with another cabinetmaker.

Well, the move is now complete and here it is. It is working out just fine, and for the first time ever I can make a good living from woodworking! My buddy and I are both booked up with work until the end of the year.

The shop is only 800 sq ft but is plenty big enough for two guys - particularly as one or other of us is usually working out on site.

OutsideView-1.jpg

NECorner-1.jpg

NWCorner-1.jpg

SWCorner.jpg

SouthWindow-1.jpg

Workbench-1.jpg

SprayBooth-1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new shop, Duncan. Sounds like you might have found the sweet spot between overhead and production quantity.

Well, those are good news! New shop and making money all together!:thumb:

Hey Duncan, apart form the shop I like very much the leaded windows, could you post some pics of them? Looks as if they were arts & craft ones, are they?

My house is only 864 sq. ft. I can't imagine filling all that space with tools and wood. Well, upon reflection maybe I can - RAS where the kitchen cabinets are ...

Hope the new place goes well for you!

Nice shop Duncan - saving rent must feel good!

Are those Plano panel clamps in background of pics 3 & 4? I am thinking about investing in some and would love to hear if you have any feedback on them?

Apart form the shop I like very much the leaded windows

The windows are great. The building and the shop premises adjoining used to belong to an undertakers - our workshop is the old 'Chapel of Rest'.

It can get a bit spooky on those dark winter nights!

Ian Barley said:
Nice shop Duncan - saving rent must feel good!

Are those Plano panel clamps in background of pics 3 & 4? I am thinking about investing in some and would love to hear if you have any feedback on them?

Hi Ian - The difference in overheads is unbelievable - I now pay £225 per month including business rates!

Yes, they're Planos. They take some working out but work well when you've got the hang of them. To be honest I don't use them too much as most of my work is in veneered MDF but they are great for glueing up solid panels for cabinet tops.

I got mine second hand - £100 for 6 clamps and 2 rails. I'm not sure that I'd pay new price for them. Keep an eye on ebay - they do turn up now and again.

...I now pay £225 per month including business rates...

Can I move in too?! I pay more than that in rates alone!

Thanks for the info on the Plano's - They are on one of my saved Ebay searches. I was actually looking at them as a way of using solid Oak that would otherwise end up in the scrap bin. Thought I might be able to convert some of it into shelving if I can glue up some panels - so getting them at less than new price is part of the plan.