Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my very first drawer!

my very first drawer!

Nothing fancy, it is for my planer stand in the shop, but this was my first time using the PC4212 dovetail jig. I agree with the folks who said that plywood is "meh" as far as dovetail results, but it was free material to begin with and the pieces I used were from an offcut from the EZ Smart table I also made (with a friend's help) this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawer.glueup.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	20614

I ripped the drawer carcass with my bandsaw and crosscut them on my radial arm saw. I then did the dovetails on the PC4212 (De Walt 616 fixed base router - I like the detachable cord - I unplugged the cord from the router after each cut). The bottom groove was milled on the router table (PC8529) and, finally, I used the bottom itself as an excuse to use the EZ Smart 32" guide with square (DeWalt 369 circ. saw).

The PC4212 has very good instructions. I recommend this jig to anyone who is interested in fixed size (there is a small pin / tail accessory available) dovetail joints.

I think that I will make some pulls out of a small mahogany cylinder that Ned occupied himself with while briefly visiting yesterday. Although, this isn't going to be on slides and might not be the smoothest drawer in the world - perhaps I should just get a plain steel handle.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 05-19-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Mark,

Way to go. Even though the materials used for this drawer are not as nice as you sound like you'd like, it will still serve it's purpose. Next time around I'm sure your confidence will allow better materials and so on. Keep moving forward and trying new things. Never gets old.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Mark, its not as bad as you thought is it? The more you do the better they will look and you will learn how to fudge to get the groove for the dawer bottom to fall in the right place so it doesn't show on the side. One more thing that I found is that if you wax the top of the jig and router base things slide easiler. Happy DTing.

Well done. My first drawers are still in service in the shop after 3 years. Never thought they'd last.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Way to go Mark, you are over that hump now, they will all get easier from now on!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Nothing fancy, it is for my planer stand in the shop, but this was my first time using the PC4212 dovetail jig. I agree with the folks who said that plywood is "meh" as far as dovetail results, but it was free material to begin with and the pieces I used were from an offcut from the EZ Smart table I also made (with a friend's help) this weekend.

Name:	drawer.glueup.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	20614

I think that I will make some pulls out of a small mahogany cylinder that Ned occupied himself with while briefly visiting yesterday. Although, this isn't going to be on slides and might not be the smoothest drawer in the world - perhaps I should just get a plain steel handle.
    Way to go Mark!!

Better to use the mahagony than that dunno wood. Can't wait to see that in use. And don't sweat the material you used. It's shop furniture. Just because Sean used Cherry for his EZ-table doesn't mean you have to use Maple for your shop furniture.
    -Ned

well mark maybe its me????

but i see a drawer but no dove tails did you change out the pic?? or did steve A and i have one to many this wknd
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Good show Mark! Well done.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    but i see a drawer but no dove tails did you change out the pic?? or did steve A and i have one to many this wknd
    The dovetails, like Larry and Steve this weekend, are half-blind.

Here is a pic of the very first dovetail I cut for this drawer.

Name:	first.dovetail.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	20660

This dovetail is a bit proud of where it ought to be. I noticed while setting up the second dovetail that the line on the jig wasn't properly lined up - something must have moved when I tightened things up the first time. I meant to put that first joint back in the jig and recut it, but by the time I remembered I had already put away the router (and taken out the bit and template guide, etc, etc.) At this point I decided things were good enough for shop furniture. Besides, now everytime I open the drawer I'll be reminded to double check everything right before cutting.

The others turned out nicely.

For the half-blind dovetails, the jig cuts all of them at once (tails and pins). I should be able to use a different angled dovetail bit if I wanted to (rather than the 7 degree one that came with the jig) for half-blinds, right?

ok now i can see a dove tail, but i couldnt on your first posted pic still dont
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!