my very first drawer!

Nothing fancy, it is for my planer stand in the shop, but this was my first time using the PC4212 dovetail jig. I agree with the folks who said that plywood is "meh" as far as dovetail results, but it was free material to begin with and the pieces I used were from an offcut from the EZ Smart table I also made (with a friend's help) this weekend.

drawer.glueup.jpg

I ripped the drawer carcass with my bandsaw and crosscut them on my radial arm saw. I then did the dovetails on the PC4212 (De Walt 616 fixed base router - I like the detachable cord - I unplugged the cord from the router after each cut). The bottom groove was milled on the router table (PC8529) and, finally, I used the bottom itself as an excuse to use the EZ Smart 32" guide with square (DeWalt 369 circ. saw).

The PC4212 has very good instructions. I recommend this jig to anyone who is interested in fixed size (there is a small pin / tail accessory available) dovetail joints.

I think that I will make some pulls out of a small mahogany cylinder that Ned occupied himself with while briefly visiting yesterday. Although, this isn't going to be on slides and might not be the smoothest drawer in the world - perhaps I should just get a plain steel handle.

Last edited:
Mark,

Way to go. Even though the materials used for this drawer are not as nice as you sound like you'd like, it will still serve it's purpose. Next time around I'm sure your confidence will allow better materials and so on. Keep moving forward and trying new things. Never gets old.

Mark, its not as bad as you thought is it? The more you do the better they will look and you will learn how to fudge to get the groove for the dawer bottom to fall in the right place so it doesn't show on the side. One more thing that I found is that if you wax the top of the jig and router base things slide easiler. Happy DTing.

Nothing fancy, it is for my planer stand in the shop, but this was my first time using the PC4212 dovetail jig. I agree with the folks who said that plywood is "meh" as far as dovetail results, but it was free material to begin with and the pieces I used were from an offcut from the EZ Smart table I also made (with a friend's help) this weekend.

View attachment 20614

I think that I will make some pulls out of a small mahogany cylinder that Ned occupied himself with while briefly visiting yesterday. Although, this isn't going to be on slides and might not be the smoothest drawer in the world - perhaps I should just get a plain steel handle.

Way to go Mark!!

Better to use the mahagony than that dunno wood. Can't wait to see that in use. And don't sweat the material you used. It's shop furniture. Just because Sean used Cherry for his EZ-table doesn't mean you have to use Maple for your shop furniture.

but i see a drawer but no dove tails:dunno: did you change out the pic?? or did steve A and i have one to many this wknd:huh::huh:

The dovetails, like Larry and Steve this weekend, are half-blind. :rofl:

Here is a pic of the very first dovetail I cut for this drawer.

first.dovetail.jpg

This dovetail is a bit proud of where it ought to be. I noticed while setting up the second dovetail that the line on the jig wasn't properly lined up - something must have moved when I tightened things up the first time. I meant to put that first joint back in the jig and recut it, but by the time I remembered I had already put away the router (and taken out the bit and template guide, etc, etc.) At this point I decided things were good enough for shop furniture. Besides, now everytime I open the drawer I'll be reminded to double check everything right before cutting.

The others turned out nicely.

For the half-blind dovetails, the jig cuts all of them at once (tails and pins). I should be able to use a different angled dovetail bit if I wanted to (rather than the 7 degree one that came with the jig) for half-blinds, right?

ok now i can see a dove tail, but i couldnt on your first posted pic:huh: still dont:dunno:

Larry, you just need to use the X-Ray 3d rendering Flash module to rotate the picture to the proper dovetail viewing angle for the original pic. :huh: :doh: What can I say, Ned wasn't here to remind me to make the dovetails visible when I took the glued up drawer pic. That's right, it's Ned's fault! :rofl:

couldnt see one tail or dove either????:dunno: no more bud light fer me this wknd.:rofl:

Me either bozz.... I don't see em either. Must have been the brand of beverages.

I'd just be happy not to hit another deer coming home from your place....the one the Mrs. hit coming from your shindig is gonna cost around 3500.00 to repair.