pool table/dining table input welcomed

Hi Folks :wave:,
Been asked to do a maple top about 69" x 112" to cover a pool table for dining purposes when not in use. They don't have the ability to hide the top easily when it is not on so I suggested... :doh:, lets make it pretty enough to hang on the wall when not in use. :D
I am looking for some brainstorming here, construction to design, all input welcome, no ideas are bad ones during the formulative stage. :wave:
Thanks,
Shaz :)

The apron could stand it off the wall far enough to cover another wall hanging. That is, when the table top is in use the 5 by 7 foot acrylic on black-velvet painting of the dogs playing poker would be displayed. When the table top is hung on the wall the apron would create a 'box' over the dog painting. Ok, maybe its a Matisse water color but you get the idea.

Wait ... shouldn't the dogs playing poker be hanging on the wall when you're in Billiard Mode?

I'm gonna be watchin' this thread close because I've been thinking of doing a similar thing with my pool table. I like the idea of being able to hang the cover on the wall when not in use. One thing to consider, is the weight. Moving it from wall to pool table could be unweildy to move for one person if it's heavy. In the one i'm thinking of making, i would ensure that it can be positioned by no more than two people since it's just my wife and i.

It'll have to be strong enough for diners to lean on and food to be splashed on as well. I don't think just an apron with an open field would do that unless you built it as a torsion box to help keep the weight down. Also, if it's not stiff, you'll need to place "posts" in the field to support the weight of food, people, plates, centerpieces, etc.

I was thinking of making mine in two sections, with a notched apron on the two sides that meet in the middle. Custom coped to snug around the features of the pool table, also to get it to rest on the slate surface. This would help on two fronts: lighter and easier to switch from billiard to dining modes; and very sturdy in the middle to support the weight. It adds a challenge, though: getting as seamless a joint there as possible over time. Especially if there's an inlaid pattern of some kind.

I also worry (somewhat in my case, it'll mostly be in Billiard mode) about how the felt would stand up to having the support members constantly pressing on it. To address that, I thought maybe having a full sheet on the underside resting on the felt. This would do a WHOLE lot to distribute all that pressure on the felt. It'd avoid any dimples or "carpet dents" from long periods of setting in dining mode, too. It'd also afford you the opportunity to make a very rigid torsion box for the majority of the surface. The downside is it'd be a challenge to keep things lightweight. Maybe make it as a torsion box with a lightweight skin of 1/4" ply? One possible downside is that you wouldn't get as much of a "concealment" space for hanging it on the wall.

As I keep thinking about the two-piece method, I was starting to consider the idea of being able to space 'em out to get that "split photo" look that some people enjoy. Trouble is, there would be one side of the "hanging" that would not have the apron detail and it might need a solution for making it look good on the wall, to.

This splitting concept is really gaining traction in my brainstorming ... what if it were made of 3 or 4 sections like the leaves of a table. That could help spread out more load, keep things very lightweight so one person can do the conversion. It could also help reduce some of the storage challenges. Heck, it could be hinged if you still wanted it in one solid piece. Hinging also lets you keep things aligned nicely no matter what. Barrel hinges are 100% hidden when laid flat, so that shouldn't be a problem....

Ahh ... but splitting has one big drawback ... spills. Especially things like ... oh ... red wine ... Maybe one-piece is better afterall.... unless you hinged it and put in a plastic barier behind the hinges - though i don't know how long those would last, and cleaning them if there was a spill would be tricky. BUT it's better'n staining your playing surface!

Boy this project has me thinkin :D

Last edited:
How about a set of pool balls inside the rack, centered between "X" crossed cue sticks for an inlay?

DT

alittle simplicity

the support for the top could be a knock down setup, kinda like a torsion box build and the top like others have said could be in sections and the sections could be veneered to get the artsy look like you are good at already shaz.. the hinge idea sounds good perhaps the drop leave style setup but in any form you would want it to be light weight to a degree so as to warrant it to be moved for the billards.. if its to much hassel to move, it wont be moved! one way or the other..

Hello Shaz!:wave:

This sounds like a fun one!!! I would suggest doing the top as 4 separate leafs, just like the leafs for a dining table. That way they will be manageable. An inlay or marquetry would be fabulous! Four separate brackets for mounting on the wall, either side by side or on separate walls. The brackets could be decorative too.

Been asked to do a maple top about 69" x 112" to cover a pool table for dining purposes when not in use. They don't have the ability to hide the top easily when it is not on so I suggested... :doh:, lets make it pretty enough to hang on the wall when not in use. :D
I am looking for some brainstorming here, construction to design, all input welcome, no ideas are bad ones during the formulative stage. :wave:
Thanks,
Shaz :)

Hi Rob, I had a similar idea with an air hocket table that I bought my kids one christmas. It was the full sizes version ( similar to a pool table) and the only room big enough for it was the kitchen. I found that with the thickness of the table it was almost impossible to make it useful as a dinning table. Chairs wouldn't fit under it and if you did sit at it you were too low and too far back from the table to eat comfortably. If the plywood over hung it was way too high for chairs and to do that it took up a huge amount of room. There was no way around it as far as I found ( besides sitting on short stools). It would work as a serving table but anything spilt on it (if it wasn't a solid piece) would eventually find it's way under and on top of the table Air tables clean up easy i just couldn't imagine spilling gravy or wine on pool table felt. I am sure that it can be done if you have lots of extra room but the top would be quite heavy to lift off and hang on the wall.

Drew

Having read and re read the information so far, the input is great. Let us push this idea even farther. I don't want to comment pro or con as I believe it would cause a leading, thus limiting the creative genius of the whole.
Here is a picture of the situation/table and it's position in life.
pool table lightened (600 x 450).jpg
The ideas are very mind widening and can only help us with our creative side.:D
Thanks, but don't stop yet.
So far we have
Rennie with inlay,:)
Glenn with a built up edge/apron and black velvet paintings:)
Jason doing alot of seriously serious brainstorming:)
DT with a design for marquetry:)
Larry with good insight:)
Ed with a four leaf suggestion and wall hanging ideas:)
Les with thoughts on alternative storage:) and
Drew with spacial considerations for length,width and height.
So far we have come a long way. Here's to you.:thumb:

Shaz, my first thought was...what about having a two sided table. One for dining, one for card playing? When it was hung on the wall the card/poker side could face out and add to a "game room" feel.

After seeing the photo of the table it looks like it is already in the dining area? My first idea may not lend itself to the decor....on to idea #2....

:huh::huh:

Have they tested the table to see if it will be functional? Might want to suggest they take a couple sheets of plywood cut to fit and try it out for a couple weeks. If it is functional, the sky's the limit!

Here's another idea. Same four panels, but do a frame and panel with a glass panel (lexan may be better for the weight). Rabbet the frame instead of a dado so the panel is flush with the frame. Makes a functional table and still shows off what it is.

I think marquetry would be awesome, but it would be a LOT more time consuming!