Online Source for Metric Machine Screw

Gary, it sounds like you are looking for a M8-1.25 x (length)mm, Metric Cap Screws, Hex Socket Drive, Flat Head, (you don’t mention length needed.) What are you using it for? M8-1.25 is so close to a standard 5/16 – 24 thread that often you can just re-tap to the Imperial thread and loose little if any thread strength.

I was thinking of something that is about an M8-.55. And an assortment of a few more ranging up to 20cm. Since the material the thread is an extruded aluminum channel, if I can't find the Metric fit, I'll jump in and retap the extrusion.

The part being held is just one face of an aluminum fence and doesn't bear much force.

Gary

I took your suggestion Bruce, and went into the shop. Yes indeed the bolt that is too short is am M8x1.25. The 1.25 metric pitch closely matches an SAE 20 tpi pitch. And the 8mm is within thousands of a 5/15.

What I need is a 3/4-inch screw and a few sizes on up to about 1 1/2 inches. I knew I bought that screw pitch gauge (back in '78) for something.

Gary

The two SAE sizes you could use are 5/16-18 or 5/16-24. If you going into thin material, the 5/16-24 would give you more threads. In any case, the SAE screws should be easier to find. One of the borgs may even carry them.
I have been suprised to find decent quality socket head cap screws at Lowes. They might carry flat heads - I have never looked for them. If you end up ordering them, remember that their length is called out as an overall all length.

I might have been mistaken in calling the thread guage an SAE size. The pitch for 20TPI matched the metric sample exactly.

Would that be a NPT standard? Not that it matters.

Gary

1.25mm thread pitch would equal 0.049213", so your 20 tpi guage (0.05000 pitch) would fit almost perfectly. I'd guess that your bolt is indeed a metric 8 X 1.25.

I've looked at Grainger and McMaster-Carr and Bolt Depot and Fastenal. Nobody has M8 Machine Screws with the allen and countersunk head.

If our leaders are grooming us for a 'metric makeover', they had better get cracking!

Who sells these in small quantities?

Gary Curtis:)

Page 3075 of the current McMaster Carr online catalog isn't what you are asking for? It looks like what you describe...

Garry