HF, Candy Apple Red #2

Spalted White Birch, dyed with Ritz Red Crimson, 9 ¼” diameter x 4 ½” high, sanded to 400 grit, 8 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. It will get buffed after waiting a week or so for the finish to cure.

I tried a number of different settings for the lights when taking the photos and they all produced significant glare…so, sorry about that – but it is really really glossy! The multiple cracks in the piece were left as is for effect!

Candy Apple Red 2 V1.JPG Candy Apple Red 2 V2.JPG Candy Apple Red 2 V3.JPG

As always, your critiques, comments or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

I like it Steve. The color really makes it stand out. :thumb:

I've got some Transtint dye, and I've been waiting for the right light wood to try it on.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Bernie - it's just a lack of light. I dyed both the inside and outside on this one just to see if I liked it better than dying only the outside. Need to look at it for a while to see if it makes any difference.

Hi Steve :wave:,
Nice to see your bold movement within this round web. The red is very nice as is the shape. When using it on the spalted, the spalting seems to lose it's dramatic difference. Just a comment, not meant as good or bad.
Any chance controlling the red (or any other color)? Say on a bead on a finial? I don't know, just wondering.
Keep pushing the envelope, it is fun taking these rides with you!:thumb:
Shaz :)

Glad everyone likes the color - it is a little radical.

Robert - I appreciate the support! I dyed this HF because the spalting was not as bold as on some of the others that I have turned and I thought it would be another great experiment. The surprise is when you pick the HF up - the spalting then seems to jump out at you. Guess you have to get by the color first...

As far as a means to control the color... suppose you could dye the entire piece and put back on the lathe and turn away anything you didn't want color on. Will have to give that some thought...

Cody - poly is one of the easiest finishes to apply. Just make sure to use thin coats and build up the finish and you won't have any problems!

holy moly batman.....that's brilliant.

your HF's are very good and inspirational for those of us ramping up the learning curve.

a dvd i watched on turnings with inlays showed the artist filling cracks and voids with brass or turquoise powder, plus CA. he got the brass filings from key duplicating machines by just asking..i wonder how that would look with this form?