who wants breakfast?

You know if we all got together, next year at 5 Barns 2009 we would have quite the tasty feast. By my tally I have:

Steve with home-raised pork...
Mickley with grass raised beef...
Travis (me) with grassed raised lamb...

And good golly someone on here must have self-raised chicken, turkeys and goats!! That would be quite the tasty treat wouldn't it? :D

It ain't the killing I was thinking about Stu. Are you going to cut pork chops on Big Blue (your bandsaw)? I didn't think so. So how are you going to process the carcass?

I've not butchered hogs before, but I've done lots of deer, we'd hang them, blood them, skin them, gut them, and clean them out, then we'd put them on a table and finish butchering the deer, no power tools, just knives, and a cleaver. :dunno:

Until the last maybe 60 years or so, butchers the world over did not use bandsaws.

Steve is not doing this as a business, so why not?

cheers! :wave:

When I was a kid, there were several times my dad and granddad would go together and buy a hog then butcher it. We'd go to a farm or feedlot of some sort on a Saturday, pick out a hog in the pen, then the guys working there would herd it into the killing chute, put a .22 slug in its head, bleed and gut it, then dip the carcass in hot water before scraping the hair off the skin. Then they'd halve the hog, and we'd take it to my granddad's shop and finish butchering it on his workbench. (It was covered in oilcloth.) Knives, cleavers, and a neander-style meat saw were all the tools they'd use...I was the "wrapper".

Wow, some good posts.....

I have butchered everything I hunt (deer, geese, ducks, etc.) but I won't be butchering these porkers. I have butchered hogs and cattle before, but to me the local mom and pop slaughterhouse isn't far away, I don't have enough proper expierience to get the good cuts of meat (probably all turn to sausage if I did it) so they'll be processed elsewhere.

I had a milk goat once, my oldest son was allergic to regular milk/baby formula and the only thing he could digest and keep down was goats milk.....actually I didn't mind goats milk at all, but I don't want to milk anything....I was so tickled when I didn't have to milk that durned goat twice a day.

So far, those little piggies (50 lbs) have acclimated themselves pretty well to their new pen, and the dogs like to rub noses with them.....all seems well on ole McAshmans farm, EIEIO.:rofl:

If you have easy access to a local slaughter house, who will do it for a reasonable price, I would go that route too.

Looking at a nice Christmas Ham? :D

Steve, that's great that you're getting back to your roots and what you enjoy in life.

But, the pics reminded me of a funny experience I had. When my wife and I were first married we rented a small farm house with a little lean to barn in back. I built a pen to raise a couple pigs on the side of it and put some chicks in the barn. After a few days all my chicks were gone and I figured the cats got them. So I bought another dozen and put them in the barn and while I was watching one of the chicks poked it's head through a knot hole between the barn and the pigpen and the pigs grabbed it and swallowed it whole. So another chick wondered where the first one went so it poked it's head through and was swallowed too. The pigs got three of them in the time it took me to grab a board and nail it over the the hole.

There's nothing better than fresh eggs for breakfast!

Last edited:
Steve, if your butcher is on the ball get one or two of the front shoulders cut into Cottage bacon. Trust me you won't regret it. My brother has all the front shoulders done this way. He sells out of it long before the regular bacon.

Who wants to come over for breakfast?

I almost missed this one! sign me me in for that breakfast. As I don't know when I'll be able to come give me a rain check on that. And I'm not joking!

Besides that, I'm glad for you that your are going back to your roots even if not completely, the good thing about that is that the knowledge that you have about it will not be lost:thumb:

sign me me in for that breakfast. As I don't know when I'll be able to come give me a rain check on that. And I'm not joking!

:

Toni, trust me on this......if you ever get in my area of this universe, your rain check will be good forever.....be happy to serve you up some fresh bacon-N-eggs.:thumb: