Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting steel

Mountain Home, Arkansas

cutting steel

Slightly removed from discussing wood but close enough to be of interest. I think.
    I have an old sawmill blade, about 3 ft. in diameter, that I have long hoped to cut into knife blades. I have been advised that a regular welding torch will ruin the steel for this purpose. I have located a guy, several hours away, with one of those water jet things but he wants more than $30.00 per blade to cut.
    Recently some one gave me a bunch of bandsaw blades that are metal cutting types. I'm wondering if these will work OK or if I would just cause myself a lot of grief trying.
    What say the jury?

lutefisk capitol, USA
    Lay out your blades and cut them 1/4 oversized. You can then slowly grind back to your pattern and get rid of the heat affected zone. Also, if you know any weld shops or are on good terms with somebody who has a plasma cutter it would go a lot faster. Again with plasma, cut big and grind back. If you can keep the heat affected zone ( the part that turns blue) outside your pattern line you should be ok. It creates more waste, but the blades will be better.

Floydada, Tx
    What abou a machine shop with a cutter. They can slice it off like sheet steel?

The Heart of Dixie
    Do you have a metal cutting bandsaw? If your talking about using a woodcutting it's way to high blade speed for that. And if the saw is hardened..........

I would just go buy (if you don't have) an angle grinder and some cut off wheels. Makes a beautiful light show and it's very effective.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Depending on how thick the metal is you could pick up one of these:

I don't know if it will work for you but I bought one a couple of years ago and it'll cut through aluminum, copper, stainless steel and cast iron up to 1/8" thick. Also, on a recent episode of CooL Tools (can't stand the host but there are some interesting tools featured) they showed a similar type of saw that might work. Probably not as cheap as the Sears one.

Monroe, MI
    We cut up a bunch of hand saw blades into blanks for stair saws with my plasma cutter. As mentioned above, the heat affected area is very small. Even cutting 1/8" plate, it cools very fast. The plasma cutter heats a very small area, then quickly blows it away.

A few times we've made edge tools from oil hardened tool steel, O-1 I believe. You cut and grind it to shape easily, then heat it up until it becomes non magnetic and quency it oil (they guy instructing recommends peanut oil for safety, plus it smells good.) Then you temper it by baking in the oven. I'd bet you could buy tool steel cheaper than having someone cut up what you have.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 05-21-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    I think with a carborundum disk on a angle grinder you could lightly score the blade from both sides a little longer then you need & just bend it back and forth at the scored spot & it will break in half. Keep It Simple as the old saying goes.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    11,698 seems the bandsaw is out of the question. So is the water jet. Maybe I'll just look around for someone with a plasma torch, that seems to be the ticky. As for forgetting it and just buying new steel blanks....that's no fun. I want to use the old saw mill blade....just 'cuz. Matt, yes I can buy new steel knife blanks, but there's no romance in that. And as far as quenching in oil. I just happen to have about ten gallons of peanut oil on hand. Left over from a big catfish fry I did for my Shrine club.

Southeast Pa
    I have a book about making knives and he just cut up old saw blades with a cutting torch. You are going to have to re-harden and temper the steel anyway. As others have said leave it a little oversize and grind to your template.

North West Indiana
    Frank, stop by your local NAPA or call your high school and see if they have a plasma torch. If you were close, would do it for you for a couple of the blanks. Cut it into strips and put a few layers of those old bandsaws and a couple of rasps/files and damascus it.