Fantastic DP base idea

GREAT IDEA Moveable DP base

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for ways to move a DP. Being of questionable sound mind I ignored all of you and came up with this fantastic way to do it. I mounted 14 ball casters to the bottom of a sheet of ¾” plywood which was attached to the base of the drill press.

View attachment 20682

The footprint of the casters is large. The weight borne by each caster is small. 3/8” carriage bolts at each corner can screw down to touch the floor when the machine is not being moved.

It worked beautifully for about three feet. Then all of the balls locked up and provided 14 sets of brakes to resist moving the machine...they made grooves in the cement floor. The bottom line is that I spent several hours and some plywood in a study of futility.

Recommendation: DO NOT DO THIS!!!

I sincerely hope that all of you have a good hearty laugh from this. Otherwise it was a total waste of my time, materials and (shall I say) talents.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Jim - keep in mind that I am one of those 6' godzillas you see walking around, so this might not work for you, but I just made a DP base this weekend.

Oh, this reminds me, I forget if this is your new DP or not, but if it isn't, General makes a DP that lets you move the head up and down the shaft / stand in addition to the table. This might help in regards to your stature / ergonomics.

Good luck with your next attempt!