My BIL is 'da man!

I built my first piece of furniture a few years ago in the form of an oak sideboard for my wife. She was so impressed she deferred retiring that year and had me hire a contractor to build my shop. She continues to work to pay for that shop. The faceframe on the oakside board was done with half-lap joints.....strong but tedious and time consuming.

My BIL after seeing it....waited until PSI had a sale and bought and shipped to me PSI's version of the pocket screw kit. Today I tried it for the first time. The initial trial I wasn't impressed. I drilled the holes cross-grain and thus the screws were in endgrain.

So....as I was installing my dado set to make half-lap joints it dawned on this old geezer what he'd done wrong. I quickly cut two more pieces of scrap and drilled the holes in the endgrain and ran the screws into the cross-grain! Wow! I was impressed. I'm going to buy some more screws locally tomorrow if I can but....I had enough and quickly finished the faceframe on my cabinet!

My BIL is 'da man!

Boomer.......Thanks!:thumb:

Congrats on the new get, Ken. I've got the PSI pocket hole jig, and I like it. I've not had much opportunity to use it, but the few times I have, it's worked well for me.

Between your wife and her brother, it sounds like you married into a good family. ;)

Vaughn...actually it's my wife who's paying for the shop and my sister's husband who gave me the pocket hole jig kit....and yes life has certainly given me more than I could expect, want or deserve.

Last edited:
...actually it's my wife and my sister's husband....
I realize you're from Idaho and all, but that just sounds wrong. :rofl:

Just kidding of course...my sister's husband is like the brother I never grew up with, and my wife's brother is a nice enough guy, but his issues don't mesh with mine. ;)

I'll let you guys work the family genealogy out....:eek: :rofl: but, congrats, Ken. I have the Kreg jig, and have really enjoyed it. The PSI model looks like the original Kreg, I believe...metal rather than the plastic one like mine. :thumb:

Did I mention that I like those pocket hole screws?

This A.M. the wife beat me into the shower as she has an early morning meeting at school. So.....I went to the shop and attached the faceframe I made last night. Wonderful things those pocket screws. If I was doing Mortise and tenon or half-lap joints I'd be there for a couple more evenings this week. I've got a couple of evenings I need to work for the day job so this worked out great. With a little luck, I should be able to hang the cabinet later this week!

Hey Ken,
If you get the chance, try out the Festool Domino.
Great way to make loose tenons. Sometimes the pocket holes won't be as disireable.