For a Couple of Six Packs......

Stuart Ablett

...... I was going down my street here to a delivery on my scooter and I see at the curbside a compressor, I stop to take a look see and it looks like a good one, a Toshiba Toscon compressor. A smaller unit and it is not new, has a bit of rust etc, but........ :dunno:

I finish the delivery and go back, it is still there, the shop which it is in front of is a company that does wiring for offices like LANs etc, I knock on the door, and ask. The father of the business was there, and he tells me that the compressor works fine, he just does not need it. :)

He said he bought it in 1988, for $1500, and he has not really used it in nearly 10 years, and it was taking up space, so it was going on the curbside, for disposal. I asked him if I could have it, he said, "Sure, you WANT it....?" :D

Heck yes please!

I had to return to the L shop to get the empty bottle off my scooter and then I loaded the compressor up, and gave the guy two six pack of beer as a "Thanks", he at first refused, as I was saving him a $50 to $100 disposal fee, but I insisted.

Here it is!

toshiba_comp01.jpg toshiba_comp02.jpg toshiba_comp03.jpg toshiba_comp04.jpg

I've got it down in the Dungeon, and have taken a few things apart, the switch needed cleaning up, I checked the safety valve first, and it was frozen, I fixed that in a few minutes, then I disconnected the auto shut off relay and ran it until the safety valve popped, it was set too low, so I adjusted it, and got it to pop right on the recommended red line on the pressure gauge, but I'm going to see if I can buy a new one. The air filter is also a TOTAL loss......

toshiba_comp05.jpg toshiba_comp06.JPG

I'll have to do something about that..... :rolleyes:

Great score Stu! The Curbside Store here in Iowa seldom carries items like that....but it's still a great store to shop at! :)

Actually, I have two others! :D

The big red one, and a small noisy, portable one...

The plan is to fix this one up, and then sell it and the large red one, and get one really good one! :thumb:

:wave:

Well, I think it will all be for naught :(

Tonight I took off the pump and motor etc to get a better look at the rust........ yuck.......

Under the pump, on the top of the tank, there are some D-E-E-P pits.....

pits1.jpg pits2.jpg
........I think that tank is history, I'd not want to have it in my shop, could, at the VERY least leak...... don't want to think about the worst case...... :eek:

Oh well, I got a compressor pump, that works well, and a motor too, so I'll just keep my eye out for a good tank.

Sorry to see the tank was worn out, Stu. Ya still did good for a couple of 6-packs.
Great score Stu! The Curbside Store here in Iowa seldom carries items like that....but it's still a great store to shop at! :)
Out here, we call it Homeless Depot. :p Put just about anything on the curb, and it'll be gone in a day or two.

hey stu?

thats better than what we get around my parts for a couple six packs,, i get a old farmer that comes thursty:) the tank may be better than you think can you have it tested somewhere,, your close to a large batch of water maybe a scuba place could help you out on the testing.

Sorry to see the tank was worn out, Stu. Ya still did good for a couple of 6-packs.

Out here, we call it Homeless Depot. :p Put just about anything on the curb, and it'll be gone in a day or two.

When I was a teen, we'd put things out on the curb and take bets on how long it would be there... in terms of hours, usually. If that long. It wasn't a 'busy' street, but there was enough traffic that things which were re-usable would go in a pretty good hurry.

Seeing the picture of that compressor being carried on the back of Stu's scooter reminded me that it is about the same size as my mighty Clarke. A $69.00 special. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14