wood rack angle

Wow, that must be some huge overhang!

Didn't you say earlier that the building was 12 X 20? That's only 240 ft², so how do you get 880 ft² of roof on it? ...or did you sneak in a bigger shop when we were'nt looking?

The square footage of any building is not representative of square footage of roof.....I always get a chuckle when someone calls me and asks how much it would cost to shingle their XXXX amount of square foot home. I ask, what pitch (they :dunno:) how much overhang (they :dunno:) valleys? :)dunno:)

.....so....I always measure square footage of roof.

The square footage of any building is not representative of square footage of roof.....I always get a chuckle when someone calls me and asks how much it would cost to shingle their XXXX amount of square foot home. I ask, what pitch (they :dunno:) how much overhang (they :dunno:) valleys? :)dunno:)

.....so....I always measure square footage of roof.

Yeah, I know about that. As I said earlier, my 240 ft² gambrel roofed barn needed 400 ft² (4 squares) of roofing (minimal overhang). I was just trying to figure out what kind of a gambrel roof there is on Ned's 240 ft² shop that takes over twice that much.

A simple gambrel for that size barn would be four panels, each about 5' X 22' (allowing for a 12" overhang all around) , so that'd be 440 ft², or less than five squares, allowing for trim and ridge. I was wondering what the other 4+ squares are for.

Think about it, A simple gable roof on a 12' wide building, with a 22 foot length of roof, would result in a 1:1.05 pitch (19 foot rise and 20 foot run) if it required 880 ft² of roofing. That's a pitch angle of 72.5°!

Last edited: