Peeling paint on house trim

My house in 3 years old. The exterior trim has peeled in some areas & been touched up once. It is peeling again, any suggestions on the best method and paint (Brand names?)to resolve this problem?
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis, I think it sort of depends on where you are and how much humidity you have. I presume that this is wood trim on a masonry home??? One reason it is peeling might be that the builder didn't prime the wood properly and just slapped a coat of paint on the bare wood. It probably would benefit from being scraped down to bare wood, then a coat of a good oil-based primer (which can be tinted to your color coat--or close to it) before putting your color coat on it.

I'm no finishing expert, so you can probably assume that some of the experts will chime in, but this is my initial reaction to your problem.

i would have ta agree with nancy but the other cause could be moisturte coming in from somewhere..would be lookin for that as well. hey nancy one more time where it would help to have at least the state in the name area..:rolleyes:

No expert but I second the notion it's not just the paint. Painting peeling is a sign of bad prep work in most cases. There is something wrong under the paint. The surface is not prepared for the paint properly.

I've seen a lot of spec houses built with no primer on the exterior trim - just a quick coat of paint to "wrap it up" quickly. It will be a hassle to fix - sand/scrape, prime, and paint. Whatever you do, don't wrap it with aluminum break metal or vinyl. It would effectively trap moisture in the wood trim, promoting rot and fungus/mold growth.
Paul Hubbman

When I moonlited as a carpenter for a house painter while on strike I recall using something called Lox-on. I think he got it at Sherwin Williams. It was added to the paint. He guaranteed his paint jobs for 5 years.

My house in 3 years old. The exterior trim has peeled in some areas & been touched up once. It is peeling again, any suggestions on the best method and paint (Brand names?)to resolve this problem?
Thanks
Dennis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All to often there isn't much of a way to resolve this problem other than replacing the trim or covering with another non wood material.

The example shown here is a garage door frame of fir lumber with Masonite panels. Fir being one of the best species for structures in strength/weight ratio at the same time ranks in the top 10 for the worst wood for retaining paint.

This door frame was painted 5 years ago with Kilz water base primer and the best latex paint the paint the real paint store had to offer.

A large percent of the lumber marked "incorrect side out" had peeled to bare wood after 1 year of southerly exposure. Incorrect side out depicts that side which was toward the inside of the tree. This grain will lift resulting in rapid paint failure. That marked "correct side out" isn't subject to grain lifting but did fail over time because of the poor wood species choice. Would a garage door manufacturer or builder believe any of this? I seriously doubt it.

The Masonite material is a good example why synthetic materials often excel in our fast pace society. It was painted over existing paint that had been applied without primer 20 years previous with no sign of failure.

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 14