Mission Style Bench

scott spencer

Here's my first completed project of the season. A Mission style bench made as a wedding gift for a good friend. They sent a pic and I basically tried to reconstruct what I saw, plus a couple of "liberties" here and there. It's mostly red oak but there are some pieces of "Widmer wine vat" QSWO interspersed. There are 36 blind M&T joints...the "thru" tenons are a faux finials. The 6 pegs are handcut from Sapele. Finish is mix of Minwax Early American and Golden Oak stain, and Behr's tung oil finish (which is a poly/tung oil mix). It's about 36"w x 15"d overall.

Their original plan was to add a custom made cushion but they weren't 100% positive during the early discussions, and they haven't seen the end result yet....decision pending on that aspect. My vote goes for no cushion but I dount I'll get a vote! :rolleyes:

100_0074.jpg

100_0081.jpg

100_0079.jpg

Well Scott, I'm impressed! Nicely done. Interesting style. I don't think I've seen on like that before. Those arms would come in pretty handy for an old codger like me.

I can think of a gazillion uses for a bench like that Scott.
Beautifully done. :clap:

DT

Hi Scott :wave:,
As stated by the others, it is a lovely piece. With ot without the cushion, it stands quite well on it's own! Your placement of the QSWO (quatersawn white oak) is well done. Thanks for the very lovely photos and the information dealing with the process and the finish.:thumb: That, here is so important, Thanks again,
Shaz :)

Simply impressive. A cushion may enhance it or spoil it completely, if I had to put one it would take me a lot thinking about the shape, thickness, material, seams, and so forth.

I'm not familiar with mission style furniture, my first thought would be: are cushions a characteristic of that furniture? and if so make some research about how they were and try to make your own interpretation.

Personally I like it very much as it is now.:thumb:

Very nice looking, and nice craftsmanship. Doing those slats on the bottom is really difficult because if one is short, it shows.

Your friend will appreciate it for a long time.

Mike