Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Compressor Installation

New Compressor Installation

As I mentioned in a tease thread a few days ago, my new compressor arrived late last week. I took advantage of the fact that my sister and her husband were in town for a long weekend, and used my brother-in-law Jim as an extra (and stronger) back to help get it from the driveway to its final location in the shop.

I ordered the compressor a few weeks ago from Eaton Compressors. It’s a twin cylinder single stage pump attached to a true 5 HP motor, sitting on a vertical 60 gallon tank. I considered a lot of factors in buying this one. The whole process is discussed in this thread.

The compressor arrived on a pallet, surrounded on all four sides with very large cardboard walls. The package was taller than my garage door opening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery Box 600.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	20715

The cardboard came off easily enough, and my first impression was “Man, this thing is huge.” I’ve been looking at 5 HP compressors at the Borgs and dealers, but none were scaled like this one. More on the size later…first, we had to get it installed. It came on two heavy wooden skids, bolted to the top of a nice wide pallet:

Name:	Air System 02 - 800.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	20716

The shipping documents said the whole package weighed 550 pounds. One of the best $12 I ever spent was renting an engine hoist to get it off the pallet and moved into place. Here’s Jim contemplating the mess he’s let himself get talked into:

Name:	Air System 03 - 800.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	20717

The first task was to cut down the pallet to allow us to straddle it with the hoist. Jim and I used to work together as construction inspectors, and we both seem to think alike when coming up with solutions for things. Even though we only see each other a couple times a year at best, we still work together like a well-oiled machine. Within a couple of minutes, and with very little debate, we had this:

Name:	Air System 04 - 800.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	20718

That’ll fit:

Name:	Air System 05 - 800.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	20719

(Like my purple lifting sling?) Since the extended lift wouldn’t fit through the overhead door of the shop, we needed to put the compressor on dollies. The next step was to remove the pallet, leaving the compressor on the two skids:

Name:	Air System 06 - 800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	20720

Then, we lowered it onto a pair of furniture dollies I use around the shop. One dolly would have worked, but we figured the more wheels the merrier. Since many projects are not complete unless duct tape is involved, we used some here to keep things where we wanted them.

Name:	Air System 08 - 800.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	20721

It rolled into the shop easily, with about 2” of height clearance going through the overhead door. Once we had the compressor close to its final position, we rolled the lift inside and used it to remove the dollies and skids. We didn’t have much ceiling space to spare, but we had enough to get things out from under the compressor. My sister ponders the light fixture while Jim removed the skids:

Name:	Air System 11 - 800.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	20722

After we got the underpinnings out of the way, we set the compressor on four of the foam/slippery plastic disks they advertise for sliding furniture around the house. That allowed us to slide the compressor into position, and will provide temporary isolation pads for a week or two until I decide on the exact final location and bolt it to the floor (with real isolation pads instead).

I ended up turning the compressor sideways to the clamp rack, to give me room for getting to the clamps. I use the clamps seldom enough that this arrangement won’t be too much of a problem.

Name:	Air System 18 - 800.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	20723

As I said, I’ll probably tweak the location a bit more over the next week or two. I still also need to do a bit more shop re-arranging, including moving the metal vise to a different location on the bench.

Continued in the next post…
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Now, a bit about the compressor. It’s big.

Name:	Air System 19 - 800.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	20724

The pump is designed for a 7.5 HP motor, so the 5 HP motor isn’t really pushing it to its limits. The motor is the biggest 5 HP motor I’ve seen. Compared to the ones on my bandsaw (1 1/2 HP) and lathe (2 HP), it’s a giant.

Here’s the end of my lathe motor, with my hand curled around it for scale:

Name:	Air System 20 - 800.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	20725

And the compressor motor for comparison, no curling necessary:

Name:	Air System 21 - 800.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	20726

Or a side view of my bandsaw motor:

Name:	Air System 22 - 800.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	20727

And the same look at the compressor motor:

Name:	Air System 23 - 800.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	20728

And the specs for the motor:

Name:	Air System 25 - 800.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	20729

The overall construction is also very impressive. Everything is heavy gauge, including the grill over the flywheel and dual belts. It will laugh at exploding bowls and such:

Name:	Air System 24 - 800.jpg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	20730

I got a chance to use the new rig for a while this evening. It’s almost a pleasure to sand a piece on the lathe now. The sander never slows down, and when the compressor does kick in, it’s not so loud that it’ll wake the dead. I know it’s way more than I really need, but I’m a happy camper and don’t regret spending the extra money to go beefy.

If you made it this far, thanks for following along. I'll post a separate thread about the air line piping setup.

Questions and comments are welcome.

workingwoods.com

Nice installation Vaughn! Thanks for the blow-by-blow commentary.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Now THAT is a compressor

Getting a bit crowded in the Studio.......

I'm sure that thing will serve you well for a very long time!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Now THAT is a compressor
    Indeed! Congrats!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Guys,

I'm really worried about Vaughn! I went to the Eaton Compressor site....and I found out that Vaughn had to select from a list of colors to get this sucker in PURPLE. Of course, then I realized who I was thinking of.....Vaughn....long-haired blonde ....guitar playing......guy from Southern California.... That explained it!
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    then I realized who I was thinking of.....Vaughn....long-haired blonde ....guitar playing......guy from Southern California.... That explained it!
    True. And sad.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    True. And sad.
    You think it's sad reading it...you should try living it. Sometimes it's simply a curse, being so doggone cool and all.

workingwoods.com

Well Vaughn, I followed your compressor adventure from of the beginning, complete with the installing of the new air line system, it looks very professional and I'm impressed, and green of envy.
    Boy that's great looking stuff. Poor me with such a small workshop.
    Have a lot of fun with the further work you have to do.
    Ad

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Sigh.... and my hair isn't just turning grey, it's turning

LOOSE!

At least it's not purple.

DT
    Last edited by Don Taylor; 05-22-2008 at 09:37 PM.