Hey Ken Fitzgerald - Keeping dry?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Hey Ken,
Looks like it's getting pretty wet in your end of the state. Are you keeping dry?
We're letting a lot of water out of the Lucky Peak reservoir to make room for the run off. This is what the green belt near my office looks like.:eek:
PIC-0010s.jpg
Based on what I'm seeing on the news, northern Idaho is having some real issues with rivers coming over their banks and some roads being flooded. Hope you and yours are OK and that the waters don't reach you.:thumb:

Rennie,

There are some flood issues upriver from us and north of us. I live in the Lewiston Orchards which sits about 800' higher in elevation than downtown Lewiston. I think I'd be okay by about 760' even if the dam at Orofino broke!:D The cooler temps here this week I'm sure helped slow down the run off. No problems in the immediate area but places on the Clearwater River 40 miles east have been starting to experience problems. 110 miles north...near Cour daAlene.....those folks have been having some problems.

Well... it's a pity you can't send some of that surplus water over here.
We are suffering from a severe draught and in a month or two water restrictions will start to be applied. Right now it is forbidden to water your garden, fill your pool ( if you have one) or wash your car at home.

We'll see what happens in summer..:(

Well... it's a pity you can't send some of that surplus water over here.
We are suffering from a severe draught and in a month or two water restrictions will start to be applied. Right now it is forbidden to water your garden, fill your pool ( if you have one) or wash your car at home.

We'll see what happens in summer..:(

Toni, I heard that on the news this week. Was last year in Barcelona, and in the hotel were we stay they ask us not to waiste water. But now it sounds more serious, but sofar I know you get watersupply from France and Italy, is that right?
Ad

Toni,

I can sympathize with your water problems. This year is the first year the mountains around here have had normal snowfall in 10 years. We had 9 years of drought.

Lewiston gets an average annual moisture of 12". 2" less and we'd be a desert. We have 2 water systems. We have a treated water system for domestic use indoors and an untreated irrigation system for use outdoors. We go on restricted watering using the irrigation system starting June 1. The dam on the local reservoirs for the irrigation system was damaged. The local water district tried to pass a levy to repair the dams and the people voted it down. Then a local Native American tribe sued for water rights of the water coming out of those reservoirs and won. Now a large percentage of the irrigation water is being shifted to a creek to try to reintroduce native steelhead trout and salmon to a creek.

If one doesn't irrigate their lawns by the end of May, by the 3rd week in June, the grass will go dormant. I understand drought, arid and the watering restrictions.

Last edited:
Toni, I heard that on the news this week. Was last year in Barcelona, and in the hotel were we stay they ask us not to waiste water. But now it sounds more serious, but sofar I know you get watersupply from France and Italy, is that right?
Ad

Not exactly, those are just two of the possibilities that they are weighing to apply.
Just a few days ago a water tanker arrived at the Barcelona port and I think that this one came from France.
There have been some rains lately that seem to have delayed the emergency situation by a couple of months, but we can't relax yet. The situation is not as crude as it is depicted in some media but being summertime so hot here we have to extreme precautions and not to waste water in what they describe as "suntuary" or "luxury" uses.