Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New/old jointer

New/old jointer

Wifey asked me if I wanted to go to this big church rummage sale. "Naw", I said. Then decided I wanted to get out of the house. On way out a feeling swept over me and I, very charitably , offered to use my big, gas guzzling, truck instead of her economical to use Ford Focus. Gut instinct proved good. Found this 6" Delta jointer for $50.00. It is on truck now while I figger out how to get it down by myself without damaging something on either it or me. It's a heavy old hunka arn. More later, with pictures. Either of the jointer or me broken and bleeding.

jointer in shop

OK. I 'cheated' to get it in shop. Had to unbolt and remove the machine from base and bring parts in separately. Heavy thing, the fence must weigh 25 pounds by itself. Enneyhow, I'm usually skeeptikal of used equipment. But a couple things about this one drew my attention. It has a 1 1/2hp 110V Power-Kraft (is that Monkey Ward?) motor that is obviously much more recent vintage than the unit itself. It is a Delta/Milwaukee, no model # but is Ser. # 56-1241. Methinks the '56' might be model. I'll look up on Delta web site later. The blades/knives are clean and look recently, and properly, sharpened. Overall it looks cared for. The base was built by someone who knows his way around a shop. Very sturdy, well made, tapered legs, etc. And, the $50.00 price was tempting as well. I turned it on and it runs smooth, vibration free and surprisingly quiet. Now to do some oiling, clean light surface rust and protect with Johnsons Paste Wax. Then I need to use.
    Now, I need to order some Grizzly green paint and a bowl of rice so it will feel at home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jointer.jpg  

Nice score Frank

You might be able learn more about it on www.owwm.com
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Indeed Frank, this is a very good buy for a few bucks, very sturdy machine.
    Have a lot of fun with using this jointer.
    Ad

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    You done GOOD Frank!

DT

Great deal Frank. Looks like a keeper & the stand is a no nonsense strong stand.

So do you have DC in your shop? If so you may want to build a stand similar to this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Jointer Cabinet 011.jpg   tn_New Jointer Cabinet 012.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-22-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Congrats Frank. Looks like a sweet deal. New tools are almost always a good thing, even if they're only new to you.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

good score frank

that was the first model of jointer i had,, used abunch and it was a solide tool.. if it looks used and runs smooth someone new how to look after it.. and like bart said they do make chips. your gonna need more room before long with the influx of more tools the shop gets smaller

P>S... your gonna want to set your stops on the fence too,, but i bet they are right on already..45 & 90
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-22-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: last min info
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Now, I need to order some Grizzly green paint and a bowl of rice so it will feel at home.
    You need to get some anti-depressants for you Chiwanese stuff. I bet they are feeling pretty inadequate and small now that you have a REAL machine in your shop.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    You need to get some anti-depressants for you Chiwanese stuff. I bet they are feeling pretty inadequate and small now that you have a REAL machine in your shop.
    Actually, for company, right now, it is sitting next to my $89.00 Delta table saw and $99.00 Northern Electric CMS and not far from my sorry Terrco duplicator. They are all smug and happy.

And, Larry, yer right about space. The Terrco is scheduled to be sold, just have to get busy and start advertising. That will free up breathing room in my little shop.