New/old jointer

Thanks, Don. Mine does not have any name plate on the back. The ser # plate is on the front.
I sent a friend who is a master wood worker an e-mail and picture of this unit. He calls it the "Cadillac" of jointers in this size range.

Another question on this. Based on the information I got from Don, the unit is supposed to run at over 4100 rpm. Right now it is using a 1 1/2hp motor at 3450 rpm with same size pulleys on motor and cutter head. Seems to work just fine and gives a nice smooth cut. Tried on some 2" walnut.
Question: Should I leave alone or put a bigger pulley on motor to speed up cutting action?

Sweet find, Frank! That's one tool I've been trying to find a deal like that on. Maybe oneday, but I'd like to get back to Texas first. Moving the equipment I already have will be pain enough.;)

.... He calls it the "Cadillac" of jointers in this size range.

Told you your Chiwanese stuff was going to feel inferior. ;)

Question: Should I leave alone or put a bigger pulley on motor to speed up cutting action?

Be sure you have the right information before you do anything. To fast and it can sling a knife. Not pretty when they do either! If your happy with the way it works I probably wouldn't mess with it. Unless I had the right pulleys laying around.

Frank,

I'm with Jim on this. I have a 3450 motor too and my pulley differential drives the blades at about 4400rpm plus, which feels a bit fast, but it works well, so I won't tweak it.

Don

Frank,

I'm with Jim on this. I have a 3450 motor too and my pulley differential drives the blades at about 4400rpm plus, which feels a bit fast, but it works well, so I won't tweak it.

Don

Don, the owners manuals you referred me to (BTW, Thank You, if I haven't already said it. ) state 4200 rpm with a 1/3 hp motor. I am using a 1 1/2 hp motor.
My inclination, right now, says to not change. Initial trials were very happy results. And, I have plenty of extra power to cut cleanly without speed. If something happens down the road where I believe more speed is needed, it will be very easy to change the drive pulley and put on a longer belt.

Don, you had it right. This is a model 654. I wrote to Delta with a description and the serial number. They sent me a letter and owners manual with parts list confirming it is a 654. The owners manual is a 1954 revised edition which indicates there were earlier versions.
The owners manual is also applicable to models: 660, 666, 37-205, 37-207, 37-307.