Some people just wont listen...

I still get the chills when I think of some of the dangerous things I've done with tools. I didn't realize they were dangerous at the time, and survived the lessons. There have been times I did something successfully, only to realize (or learn) later that it was not a real bright idea.

That said, after zinging a part across the shop once, I don't think I'd be trying the same method again.

I have always believed an old saying I heard. :rolleyes:

"You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself".

I don't know the original author, but if ever there was a truth, that be it.

Aloha, Tony :type:

(Hmmm, I think I'll use that in my signature)

"People have to make their own mistakes. And they get upset when you try to keep them from making theirs."
Edna Ferber "So Big" (Quoted from memory, so perhaps not exactly right.)

I agree that it's important to learn from other people's mistakes. But it's not easy.

Id rather have people around me in work that would at least weigh the advice/suggestion given to them from other workers.
Some unsuspecting person in the work area may be a victim of his lack of common sense next time.

Last edited:
Nah, you guys are mostly just getting some licks in on some poor slob who isn't around to slug back, though I'll admit the tone of the thread has improved somewhat since the first page.

Actually this is the kind of guy that just doesn't listen. He's a good productive worker, but the kind that puts his head down, and goes headlong into a project worrying and working on the next phase as he is doing the first. For the most part he gets away with it, but I have also seen him spend days re fixing what he messed up because he was in a hurry.

Last winter he wanted to come and watch me work in the woods with my tractor and winch, but I kind of said no in a nice way. First I workin the woods alone and inevitably when someone is there with you, you mess up and something always goes wrong. Mostly though it would have been awaste of time. This is the type of guy that complains and argues no matter what is said...just to argue and always has closed ears. He would have just needled me on why the way he logs is so much better then the way I log, though I have far more experience in the woods and produce twice as much wood in a weekend.

I'll speculate that the cause of the repeated accident with the router has more to do with the shape and to a lesser extent the size of the object. Perhaps also the material, though I've not routed enough plastic to have much of an opinion on that. I'd be willing to bet if the piece had been square the guy would have gotten away with it. It does sound like the machine shop needs its own router table or some specialized vise jaws to hold a router more firmly.

I don't think so. Plastic is a lot like wood in that it hand planes, saws and machines likewood, but without the hard and softness of wood (growth rings). Its so consistent that I would actually say its easier to route then wood.

As for needing a router table...no way.We build high end yachts and have a carpenters shop. It is teeming with woodworking tools...router tables included. he could have just gone over there, routed his piece and been done...a ½ hour at the most and that including changing the bit over to his plastic-only bit.

One also has to wonder if this guy has much experience with routers. He could have been feeding the wrong direction, which is about the one thing I can come up with that would consistently produce the same result and totally mistify the novice user.

Nope, I saw him pause before he hit the on switch and make a circular motion with his finger trying to decide the rotation of the bit and which way he wanted to slide the piece of plastic through.

I'd be a lot more cautious about diagnosing a case of the stupids. More likely he got his hackles up over a question of pride and got in over his head. Best thing to do with that guy is to get out of the room when he grabs the router. Everybody does that a couple of times and he'll start paying a bit more attention to how the more experienced hands do things, and might quietly learn a thing or two. Jamming it down his throat will just make him fight back.

I wish that was the case. I do agree it was a matter of pride as it always is with this guy, but while I would not call him stupid, I would definately say his life is a lot harder then it has to be.