Almond tree wood good for woodworking?

A friend of mine that has piece of land, is going to fell down 3 almond trees next winter and he's promised to give me all of them.

While I wait for that to happen I wonder if anyone has worked it or knows how almond tree wood looks like and wether it is hard to work with, or even if it is worth giving it a try or is only good for the fire pile.

People here say it is great wood for burning because it lasts long, gives great heat and leaves almost not ashes, but they do not know about making furniture out of it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Toni,

I know the Aaron's staff was made of almond, and it seems to be used in modern turning. Since the trees are comparatively small, it doesn't seem to be mentioned much as far as lumber goes. My guess (and its only a guess) is that it would be comparable to other fruitwoods... not viable on a commercial scale, but I'd bet you could make some interesting things out of it...

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Now I know that at least it will be usable, which what interested me more. I didn't want to make all the hauling and waiting for about 3 years to find out eventually that all the effort had been useless

Toni,

I know the Aaron's staff was made of almond, and it seems to be used in modern turning. Since the trees are comparatively small, it doesn't seem to be mentioned much as far as lumber goes. My guess (and its only a guess) is that it would be comparable to other fruitwoods... not viable on a commercial scale, but I'd bet you could make some interesting things out of it...

Thanks,

Bill

You continue to surprise me, Bill. Aaron's staff was made of Almond wood and in fact it budded, bloomed and produced almonds when God chose Aaron and the tribe of Levi to be his Priests over the other tribes and their staffs. Numbers 17. But, I digress.

Toni, if Almond wood burns like your friends say, then it is obviously dense and close grained. The best trait about it, though, is that it's free. Go for it and let us know how it works after you dry it for a year or two. We will wait. ;)