New Bandsaw

Lee Laird

Well, I finally got my dream bandsaw. :D A MiniMax MM16. I finished wiring it last night and now have a question about the european blade guides before making some saw dust. The machine I bought was a floor model so all the protectant that is normally on the new machines was removed prior to me buying. The blade guides are different than my previous 14" Delta and I wonder if all the protectant was removed as they rotate kinda easily when moved with a finger but don't spin freely like you might expect sealed bearings to do. Just want to find out if this is how they should behave or if I needed to do something to help them operate properly.

Oh yeah, here is a picture of my beast in the garage.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Attachments

• MiniMax band saw small.jpg
    MiniMax band saw small.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 52
...The blade guides are different than my previous 14" Delta and I wonder if all the protectant was removed as they rotate kinda easily when moved with a finger but don't spin freely like you might expect sealed bearings to do. Just want to find out if this is how they should behave or if I needed to do something to help them operate properly...

Are you sure they're SEALED bearings, or maybe just shielded?

If they're sealed, they could be cleaned in nearly any solvent without harm, but if they're only shielded, you might have solvent leaking behind the shields and washing out some of the lube.

As long as they turn easily with a finger, I'd leave them alone and just start enjoying the saw. Great saw, BTW. I looked at them several years ago, but ended up with the Laguna - mainly because, at the time, I lived about five miles from the Laguna HQ, and was able to get both a good deal, and be assured of local service. Then I moved to Ohio...

Jim,

Thanks for the input. I have the same feeling about leaving them alone since they are turning but just thought I'd see if anyone had info to contradict my thoughts. I was seriously talking to the Laguna guys about a similar band saw and moved toward the MiniMax for the same reason you stated about Laguna. HQ for MiniMax moved to Austin. I think I can easily say this will be the last band saw I'll need. Hopefully I won't have a like issue with the local support.

Ken,

Any input on the blade guides and how deliberate of a movement would be necessary to spin yours. Trying to see if there is gunk from the original shipping that might be preventing mine from spinning nice and easy.

Thanks again guys,