Compressor Problems Again --- Fixed!!

Stuart Ablett

A while back, I had a problem with my compressor, >> Here <<

While I got the new part, and installed it, the problem was NOT solved :bang:

To be honest, I was fed up with it, and just turned the darn thing off :rolleyes:

I was working on the ill fated >> FREE << compressor, and I noticed that it did not have the release valve thing, :huh: maybe because it is only a single piston type, and the troublesome compressor is a double piston unit :dunno:

Then, I was reading through Vaughn's thread about his >> Air Line System << and when I read the bit about the one way valves, and my puny little brain started to work..... :eek:

What was happening, the trouble, was the compressor would run up to max, and then shut down. The bleed valve would open, and it would not shut. What the bleed valve does, as far as I know, is to bleed the pressure out of the two pistons, so when the compressor starts up again, there is NO built up pressure in the cylinders, making it easier when the motor kicks in.

What I realized, is that there must be a one-way valve between the compressor pumps and the storage tank, and it must not be working right.

Yep, that is what it was.......

oneway_valve1.jpg oneway_valve2.jpg

That is it, I got it apart, and the valve was somewhat blocked with stuff, also I found the rubber was hard,and shinny, plus, there was a circular impression where the valve contacted the rubber seal. I took a piece of #240 PSA sandpaper and stuck it on a bit of plywood, then I carefully sanded the face of the rubber seal until the circular shaped impression was gone. Now the compressor works just like it was supposed to! :thumb:

Thing is, I wonder where I'll find another rubber seal, as the sanded one may last a while, but it will have to be replaced at some point.

I'm real happy this is fixed, but I have to say, I'm kind of kicking myself for not figuring it out soon.....:eek:

Cheers!

Stu said:
What the bleed valve does, as far as I know, is to bleed the pressure out of the two pistons, so when the compressor starts up again, there is NO built up pressure in the cylinders, making it easier when the motor kicks in.

Yep, that's what it does... The pressure relief valve opens to help the motor start, and the check valve...where your problem was...closes at the cutoff pressure to keep air in the tank.

Great news, Stu. Simple problems can sometimes slip by us while we try to "analyze the big picture". You should have not problem getting a gasket.... but if push comes to shove, let me know the specs and I'll find you one here.

Good to have air again, eh? :thumb:

:rofl:

Oh, was that the original part or the replacement mentioned here...http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=86537&postcount=15 ?

That was the pressure switch, the doodad that, when a preset pressure in the tank is reached, it cuts the power to the motor, while bumping the bleed valve, bleeding off any compressed air in the line between the pump and the one way valve. I thought the bleed valve was defective :doh:

My mistake :eek:

I have the manual, the parts list is a joke, looks like it was drawn and written by an angry 5 year old.... :doh:

I can get the specifics, but for now it should be OK, touch wood, and I think I could even fabricate another "packing" (Japanese for "seal") from some plumbing stuff.

I'll be going to SUPER VIVA HOME next week sometime, so I'll try to get something similar or even a whole new valve there :dunno:

Domo! :D

I think (and that's a pretty uneducated 'think') that those valves are fairly standard across the industry. I suspect you can find a complete replacement valve pretty easily, and I don't think it'll be too pricey.

I think (and that's a pretty uneducated 'think') that those valves are fairly standard across the industry. I suspect you can find a complete replacement valve pretty easily, and I don't think it'll be too pricey.

That is what I'm hoping, I'm also hoping to get something a little more robust than a flat round chunk of rubber and a spring. :dunno:

I just had an idea..... :eek:

What if I mounted the extra pump, and motor somewhere near the existing compressor, and ran both pumps? :dunno:

I think I've seen compressor set ups with more than one pump on the large tank... :huh:

I also found out that the compressor I have, the one with the rotten tank, has a 0.4Kw motor, but the exact same pump with a larger motor turns out a LOT more air.... :)

Right now I have 120 litres/min (4.3 CFM), with a larger motor, the second hand pump would boost to 80 litres/min, (2.9 CFM) so if I could hook them up to both pump into the same tank..... having separate pressure switches.... I'd have 7.2 CFM at only the cost of a few fittings etc......

Think that would work :huh: :dunno:

Cheers! :D