Thread: Alpine Meadows Shop

Golden BC Canada

Alpine Meadows Shop

Golden Greetings
    Its about time that I let you survey my shop chalet I built 7 years ago. It is a 24 by 32 foot lower level of a 4 bedroom chalet. Other than a small utility room it is stuffed with basic, specialized tools needed for woodworking, my woodmizer bandsaw operation, wood and alot of (s)crap storage. Two garage doors allows access to outside storage and covered shelter. Some of the timberframing(new endeavor) tools may not be familiar. Since my wood never comes from the store, cutting logs into to useable planed, stock is a big exercise.

Using a brick layers scaffold unit on wheels is unique, at times I have laid out stained and dried 500 lin feet of beveled cedar siding, besides planing 12' lengths of boards. Storing green stock to dry is a necessary evil.

I hate the steel support post in the middle, I can never swing 12' stock around without it in the way. I want more tools, but I have to get rid of stuff before I get more. Some specialty items are 16" makita beam saw, makita chainsaw mortiser, and 6" makita planer.

I am building a 16 x 12' timberframe shed as my first attempt(see image of timbers). Some of the other built items include 3 test adirondack chairs(building more new design), a willow chair and a 300 lb picnic table. That all for now.
    Enjoy the tour.

Tokyo Japan
    Looks great Irv, I'm envious of all that space!

The timber framing tools, the chainsaw mortiser, for example, they must be fairly rare around there....... no?

Thanks for the tour!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Houston, Texas
    Hi Irv ,
    You have a great place there and your projects are exciting. Only better tour would be to walk it with you, on site !
    Thanks for the look.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Here is how

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks for the tour Irv! I'd have trouble getting any work done with that view!!!!! WOW! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

nice choice of table saw mate
    daiku woodworking

Golden BC Canada

Alpine Meadows Shop

Hi, thanks for the reviews.

Stu, these tools for timberframing are basic, you should see what some gifted craftsmen can do with a chainsaw and a sharp chisel. There are quite a few small timberframing and log building operations out here. The douglas fir is stable and strong, a preferred species for TF.

Robert, come any time, now would be good, need help planting 7000 seedling spruce and larch.

Jim, I had this view for 18 years and can't get enough of it. Although it takes someone new to say wow and remind me.

Patrick, yes, the BT3000 Ryobi tablesaw is good, unusual, light duty but has flaws and is not for heavy duty use.

Rough carpentary can still let the character of wood shine through with all its knots, blemishes, and grain.

Southeast Pa
    Man what a great shop and it comes with a view!

Constantine, MI
    OK - I'm GREEN
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk