Your plans for the long weekend?

No woodworking today... this afternoon I had the pleasure of walking my oldest daughter down the isle and giving her away. I was OK till the part where the Minister asks who gives this woman, and I say "her mother and I do"... my daugher then turned to me as I'm backing away and discreatly whispered "I love you Daddy"... of course I lost it then. Ceremony went well, and all had a good time. Life goes on, a new generation gets a fresh start as my wife and I did almost 30 years ago.

Tomorrow afternoon... back down to the woodshop, I have an order for a few cherry quilt hangers to fill :)

Well, I got an excuse, I'm a Canuck, living in Tokyo Japan, so I'm sorry, I forgot it was "Memorial Day" for you wonderful Yanks :eek:

I did not forget the troops, and I say a prayer everyday for them and their loved ones. :clap:

I say "her mother and I do"... my daugher then turned to me as I'm backing away and discreatly whispered "I love you Daddy"... of course I lost it then.

It's funny how those words from those kind of persons causes that kind of a reaction! Congrats to the newly weds and to the parents of same! May they live happily ever after.

Hmmmm..... Seeing some of the responses I thought I'd jump in and state unequivocally that it was never my intention to to turn attention away for the reason for the long weekend. I have the greatest respect for our military - just as any of them who have had their restaurant checks paid for anonymously. ;)

First and foremost, this is the day we have set aside for 140 years to honor our fallen service men and women.

So, I hope that clears up where I stand on the matter.

Now, that does not preclude having the opportunity to play in the shop, catch up on to-do lists, etc. But, I should have noted the reason for the day first before asking everyone what their plans were. I stand appropriately corrected and chastised and ask the forgiveness of any I might have offended.

Last edited:
Rennie,

I"m an 8 year US Navy veteran. I served from November '68-November '76. No offense taken on my part.

My personal thanks to all that have served this country in the Armed Forces and their families. We are forever indebted.

My wife flies the flag daily. She will continue to fly it until all of our service personnel return home. Those currently serving include my youngest son in the US Navy for over 10 years and our recently promoted PO3 grandson aboard the USS Harry S Truman.

Complete!

Well, it took a good many hours, but I finished bringing the walnut inside, trimmed down to, mostly, usable lumber. Now, let's see.....

2 1/2 years ago a friend asked me if I wanted some free walnut. The trees were still standing and we agreed I'd get the trunks up to the first branch - over 12' on one of the trees. The the guys who cut down the trees absconded with the best parts and I was left with.... well.... not much and the trunk of another walnut that someone had cut down about 2 years earlier and left on the ground. I had given my word that I would take the wood and did not want to leave my friend with some big hunks of tree in his yard, so....

Now after all is said and done, it cost me $125 for the guy with the portable mill, $25 a month for 2 years in a storage locker, another 6 months under a tarp on my patio, and about 50 hours invested in moving, cutting and stacking.

What was the yield? By my careful calculations about 160 bf. Add it all up and my "free" walnut cost me about $725 plus my time. I think air dried walnut must be going for over $4 a bf in 100 bf lots, so I only lost about a hundred bucks or so.

If anyone on this forum ever hears me say something like, "Hey, somebody is offering me free wood" please smack me!

The proof.....
DSC_2375.jpg DSC_2376.jpg

The the guys who cut down the trees absconded with the best parts
You're too nice. It would have been game-over for me at this point. Or at least the friend should have talked to the tree guys.

$25 a month for 2 years in a storage locker,
If anyone on this forum ever hears me say something like, "Hey, somebody is offering me free wood" please smack me!

Paying to store it would have been my second game-over moment. If I don't have room for it, I don't take it. We've got some space in the garage, a bit less in my shop, and none at all in the back yard. Hence, I don't keep a big stash on hand.

But as for the smack...
I think you're taking care of that yourself: :doh: :bang:

youre friend rennie doesnt understand the value, and when he allowed the tree guys to walk away with the money wood, he unintentionally didnt keep his word to you.
It really was not a question of "allowed" as it was my friends fathers trees and he was not home when they were cut down. I'm sure he would have said something had he been there.

Six year anniversary with my wife on Sunday. We took off for St. Louis for the weekend. Had Stoney river Friday night (our favorite special place restaurant), and a brazillian Steakhouse with friend on Saturday night. Saw a movie in a theater for teh first time since having Megan seventeen months ago and that was nice. Stayed at a Drury Inn &Suites and it was very comfortable - had an awesome suite there the front desk gal gave us even though we only payed for the regular room. We had an awesome time.

Came home Sunday and I hit a harbor freight down there before leaving town. Picked up a pneumatic riveter and a bunch of other odds and ends while there.

Today I exchanged Christmas gifts with my sister - been awhile since we have gotten together whithout others around. Had a good time.

Then I mowed the front lawn and played with Megan outside - we had fun with a bubble machine and a toddler swing. Great weekend.

Before I left Friday I did get into the shop for an hour or so. Had the IT chair from Illinois state University over along with two other department heads and their IT shop maint. supervisor. They came over to see the sawstop. Peoria Woodcraft asked if I could give them a tour of the saw so I gladly hosted them. Great guys and they really liked the saw. They got a lesson on tuning a saw - turns out they have never tuned their PM66 :doh: I left them with the thought that if I could justify one they surely could and now that they had seen one up close and how nice it was (demoed rip and cross cuts, a nickle and quarter balance test, complete inside and outside overview, RK and guard overview and why they need to be on the saw at all times, etc. - no break activation demo) it was on them if an accident does occur to a student. Probably a bit foreward but I wanted to make sure it was said. No reason not to have this saw in school!! Especially with the tuition and fees in that department!!

Rennie,

I"m an 8 year US Navy veteran. I served from November '68-November '76. No offense taken on my part.

My personal thanks to all that have served this country in the Armed Forces and their families. We are forever indebted.

My wife flies the flag daily. She will continue to fly it until all of our service personnel return home. Those currently serving include my youngest son in the US Navy for over 10 years and our recently promoted PO3 grandson aboard the USS Harry S Truman.

Ken
We must be pretty close in age..
USN from 67-71..

And I didn't forget yesterday..

Garry