Thread: What blade? 12" CMS

What blade? 12" CMS

I loaned my Delta 12" CMS to a friend to cut a bunch of base moulding (plastic and wood) for his bedroom, halls and bathrooms. When I got it back, the blade had a lot of white plastic on it, so I spent an hour or so cleaning it, only to find about 8 carbide teeth missing. I am sure he didn't do it cutting base and cove moulding; the blade is one I have had in the saw for a long time. Must have happened on my watch but it was not something I noticed until I cleaned it.

Question is, what blade do you recommend (# of teeth, brand, etc.)? I just use the saw every once in a while when I am cutting baseboard or crown moulding.

Thanks.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Warren White View Post
    I loaned my Delta 12" CMS to a friend to cut a bunch of base moulding (plastic and wood) for his bedroom, halls and bathrooms. When I got it back, the blade had a lot of white plastic on it, so I spent an hour or so cleaning it, only to find about 8 carbide teeth missing. I am sure he didn't do it cutting base and cove moulding; the blade is one I have had in the saw for a long time. Must have happened on my watch but it was not something I noticed until I cleaned it.

Question is, what blade do you recommend (# of teeth, brand, etc.)? I just use the saw every once in a while when I am cutting baseboard or crown moulding.

Thanks.
    Warren
    Hi Warren ,
    Sorry about your blade, it does happen. It costs about $3.50 a tooth for repacement carbide to be put back on a blade down here.
    I would get an 80 or a 100 tooth, for a really smooth cut on your molding. Change over to another blade if you loan it to someone else. I have heard Amana has a good product. Good luck. I'm not sure of the tooth set but maybe one of the other folks will step up and share.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I put on an 80 tooth Freud on my 12". I made the mistake of loaning out one of my power tools and getting it back damaged, so now I go with it or it don't go.

Freud on mine, I think it's around 80 tooth. Diablo from the Borgs. It's been working quite nicely for quite a while, leaving a nice smooth cut.

The one I have used is the Forrester chopmaster. It leaves a nice clean cut. I would take the old blade in to see if it can be saved. If not, then you can make a shop clock out of it or have it painted for wall art.

Sorry about your blade Warren. If you use your CMS for mostly finish/trim work the 96 tooth Freud Diablo with -5 deg hook angle is the best blade and at HD for $65. Zero to -5 deg hook angle is best blade for CMS.
    Gerry

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90087+524421

Thank you!

I really appreciate all of the replies. I hadn't thought about having the teeth replaced, so the blade is gone. I will start looking for a replacement with the advice you have given.

A great place to learn....

Warren

Woodworker II, their standard combo blade (1/8")... once I tried that, I never looked back. Little pricey, but does great both rip and crosscut, a premium blade that delivers in my humble opinion. Eventually sent it back to get sharpened, bought a second while that one was away so I always have a good sharp blade in reserve in case I hit something and chip a tooth or what not.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Dave, it is for a CMS so the WWII in your tablesaw is probably not for him.

I have a Hitachi thin kerf and it works really good. Also bought a forrest 12" Chopmaster but have not put it on yet. Still using the Hitachi.